[Air-L] New article about Network Analysis and Hackerspaces

Sandra Alvaro sandraalvaro at enlaciutat.es
Wed May 1 02:37:05 PDT 2019

Dear Air-L members,

I would like to share my recently published article :

Sandra Álvaro (2019) "A topological space for design, participation and
production. Tracking spaces of transformation", Journal of Peer
Production, Issue #13
http://peerproduction.net/editsuite/issues/issue-13-open/peer-reviewed-papers/a-topological-space-for-design-participation-and-production/

In this study, I applied the tool Hype - developed at the Media Lab at
Sciences Po- to tracking the online relations between hackerspaces
within the general web. Furthermore, I applied network analysis to
answer some research questions concerning the mapping of global and
local relations and the collective projects shared across different
Hackerspaces.
One of the anonymous reviewers defends the opinion that: " The
quantitative analysis presented in this article is interesting to some
extent but not sufficient to support the ambitious concepts put forward
in the introduction.". I would like to take advantage of this comment
and open a discussion with the members of this community about the
significance of quantitative methods for dealing with questions
concerning big communities and complex assemblages. Also, How these
methods could be complemented with qualitative methods.
I will appreciate any comment and lecture recommendation.

Best regards,
Dr Sandra Álvaro