[Air-L] Propose a session about research for Wikimania 2019!

Benj. Mako Hill makohill at uw.edu
Fri May 10 17:27:30 PDT 2019

Greetings!

You might have already seen an announcement for Wikimania (the
Wikipedia and Wikimedia's community annual conference). It will be
hosted in Stockholm this year on August 14-18.

This year the conference is broken down into a series of tracks called
"spaces."  Along with Leila Zia from the Wikimedia Foundation, I'm
helping running a space focused on research. We're interested in talks
about research (or about how to do research) on Wikipedia, other
Wikimedia projects, and open collaboration more broadly. I've pasted
in a call for proposals for the Research Space below.

The conference is a great way to connect both with other researchers
and with the Wikipedia and Wikimedia communities of contributors and
leaders. Please submit a proposal!

Regards,
Mako

Call for Sessions Proposals about Research @ Wikimania 2019

Wikimania: The Conference of the Wikipedia and Wikimedia Community
Stockholm, Sweden | August 14-18, 2019

Submission Deadline: June 1, 2019

Research Space website:
  https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/wiki/2019:Research
General Conference website:
  https://wikimania.wikimedia.org/

About the Conference & Research Space
-------------------------------------

Wikimania is the annual conference of the Wikimedia community. In
2019, Wikimedia is being managed as a series of largely independent
"spaces" (similar to tracks). This call for papers is only for the
Research Space.

The Research Space will host talks that showcase research of interest
to the broader Wikimedia community as well as tutorials focused on
helping people do research in Wikipedia.

We are particularly interested in submissions that aim to:

- Present actionable research projects by people conducting research
  on Wikimedia projects and in adjacent spaces (either completed or
  in-progress);

- Provide tutorials to help Wikimedians and researchers learn to use a
  series of useful tools for collecting and analyzing data from
  Wikimedia projects;

- Provide a space to discuss issues related to doing research in
  Wikimedia projects.

Proposing a Session
-------------------

The research space is actively encouraging submissions for three types
of sessions:

- Presentations of Research
- Tutorials
- Research Lightning Talks

We encourage submissions from researchers studying Wikimedia projects,
researchers studying adjacent projects (e.g., peer production projects
like OSM, etc), Wikimedia community members, and members of the WMF
research team. We are particularly interested in work that touches on
issues related to the UNDP SDGs (e.g., quality education, reduced
inequalities, industry innovation and infrastructure).

Wikimania is a community conference. We will not be publishing a
proceedings. We welcome presentation of either completed or
in-progress work.

The research space welcomes submissions on any topic related to
Wikimedia research. Examples of topics we would welcome include:

- Participation in Wikimedia communities
- Group Dynamics and Organization in Wikipedia and related projects
- Readership/Engagement on Wikipedia and related projects
- Technical Infrastructure and Design in Wikimedia projects
- Evaluating Content of Wikimedia projects
- Knowledge Diffusion, Outreach, and work that seeks to generalize
  beyond Wikimedia projects

We also welcome submissions on these or other topics in "adjacent
spaces" including free culture, free software, open hardware, open
knowledge, and so on.

Submissions are due on June 1, 2019.

Conference Organization and Questions

The Research Space leaders are:

- Benjamin Mako Hill (University of Washington) — makohill at uw.edu
- Leila Zia (Wikimedia Foundation) — leila at wikimedia.org

All questions about submissions should be emailed to the space leaders
or a message can be asked publicly on the public Research Space
discussion page which is available at the link above.

--
Benjamin Mako Hill
https://mako.cc/academic/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so far
as society is free to use the results. --GNU Manifesto