[Air-L] International Conference on Social Media & Society (#SMSociety, Toronto, Canada; July 19-21, 2019)

agruzd at gmail.com agruzd at gmail.com
Mon May 20 13:57:18 PDT 2019

***Invitation to Attend***

The organizing committee of the 10th International Conference on Social
Media and Society (#SMSociety) invites you to visit vibrant Toronto on July
19-21, 2019. The 2019 conference will be held at the Ted Rogers School of
Management and hosted by the Social Media Lab at Ryerson University. This
year's theme is on "Rethinking Privacy and Trust in the Social Media Age".
Link: https://socialmediaandsociety.org <https://socialmediaandsociety.org/>

The conference offers an intensive 3-day program including 8(!) hands-on
workshops, full & work-in-progress papers, panels, and posters featuring the
latest in social media research
(https://socialmediaandsociety.org/2019-schedule/). Our interdisciplinary
community brings researchers from a wide variety of disciplines including
Communication, Information Science, Management, Sociology, Education,
Journalism, Computer Science, Political Science, Health, and other fields.
This year, we are honoured to have a highly distinguished scholars as our
keynote speakers:

*	Tarleton Gillespie is a principal researcher at Microsoft Research
New England, and an affiliated associate professor in the Department of
Communication and Department of Information Science at Cornell University.
His new book, Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and
the Hidden Decisions that Shape Social Media (Yale University Press) was
published in June 2018.

*	Valerie Steeves is a Full Professor in the Department of Criminology
at the University of Ottawa. As the lead researcher of MediaSmarts' Young
Canadians in a Wired World research project, she has been tracking young
people's use of new media since 2000. She is also the principal investigator
of the eQuality Project, a seven-year SSHRC-funded partnership exploring
young people's experiences of privacy and equality in networked spaces.

We hope you can join us for this exciting event and contribute to this
emerging research area! If you have any questions about the conference,
please email us at: ask at socialmediaandsociety.org
<mailto:ask at socialmediaandsociety.org>   or visit our website to register
https://socialmediaandsociety.org/registration/

---