[Air-L] Query on supportive teen online affinity groups

Mizuko Ito mito at itofisher.com
Fri May 31 09:18:13 PDT 2019

Dear AoIR colleagues,

I am seeking to expand my knowledge of teen online affinity networks for a new project I am scoping out, and was hoping to tap your wisdom.

We are looking to partner with youth online community organizers and influencers to promote positive social support and mental wellness through digital channels. The goal is to work with networks involving teens (ages 13-18) who experience disproportionate amounts of  discrimination, trauma, and stress, and are not currently well-served by more conventional mental health services. We’re particularly interested in serving girls of color and subgroups (eg. immigrant, Latinx, and Muslim teens), and LGBTQIA+ teens.

Two questions:
	• Do you know of online groups, communities, networks, or influencers who serve these groups of teens, and who might be possible partners for this kind of effort?
	• Are there channels and forms of teen online participation that might be fruitful avenues for reaching vulnerable teens? For example, young women of color in college might form GroupMe or FB groups for social support, but I’m not certain if a similar practice exists at the high school level.

The project is U.S. focused but I’d be interested in examples from outside the U.S. as well.

I would be super grateful for any suggestions and advice, including literature to read and general feedback. Thanks so much for considering.

Best,
Mimi Ito
Professor | UC Irvine @mizuko
Director | Connected Learning Lab