[Air-L] CDs and DVDs? + potentially inappropriate query

Jakob Jünger jakob.juenger at uni-greifswald.de
Fri May 3 01:21:14 PDT 2019

Dear Charles,

I have just a quick comment, more or less supporting your view...

Am 03.05.2019 um 09:26 schrieb Charles M. Ess:
> (a) physical media such as CDs do / not remain relevant in especially
> student music consumption, and/or

In my environment (Germany, teenagers) at least DVDs are still a little
bit relevant in three dimensions, as far as I can tell from some
situations I experienced myself. First, as you told, buying CDs on
concerts or even from street musicians happens. I guess this is for
supporting musicians and to have a souvenir. Second, parents of younger
children still have DVDs, they help with limiting the watching time and
access control. Third, the streaming market is diverse and the /first
/seasons of Game of Thrones apparently are not available on every
service. Passing the DVDs around is easier. All in all, it is not the
most common thing teenagers do, but they still know what a DVD is.

> (b) FLOSS - including ongoing development and distribution of software
> (beyond the usual suspects of Mozilla products, wikipedia, etc.) is /
> no longer of any significance?

I think it is still of significance but the situation settled.
Eventually, MIT and Apache 2.0 licenses are getting more and more
common, aren't they? From what I understand about the debates they
address FOSS as well as Open Source concerns. Most web projects I deal
with (and even hardware projects, e. g. the "maker movement") use these
licences.

Best regards,
Jakob

--
Jakob Jünger
University of Greifswald

Ernst-Lohmeyer-Platz 3
17487 Greifswald
Germany

Room: 3.16 (3. floor)
Email: jakob.juenger at uni-greifswald.de
Phone : +49 3834 420 3444 or +49 173 860 8056
Web: http://www.ipk.uni-greifswald.de/