[Air-L] CDs and DVDs? + potentially inappropriate query

Deen Freelon dfreelon at gmail.com
Fri May 3 06:43:20 PDT 2019

I'd like to add to the voices defending the relevance of F/LOSS--the
cutting edge of quantitative research in the social sciences depends on
it, but there are more familiar examples (Wordpress, Firefox,
Thunderbird, Linux, OpenOffice, VLC, etc.) You might also point out that
many services we all know and love incorporate FLOSS, such as the PHP in
Facebook and the Python in Dropbox to note just two of the many examples.

The notion that FLOSS "is / no longer of any significance" is not true
as a general claim, though it might not be as relevant to digital media
ethics as it used to be. If that's the case, a clarification regarding
what is meant by "significance" would be greatly appreciated.

As for media consumption, I'm pretty sure my students are more or less
done with physical media. But if you want to talk piracy, you might look
at services like BitTorrent, Popcorn Time and its many derivatives, and
the many piracy streaming sites out there. These are often accessed via
VPNs to keep consumers' identities out of the hands of litigious
rights-holders. Finally, the practice of sharing Netflix/Hulu/Amazon
Prime/etc. passwords might be useful as a borderline example?

Best, /DEEN

--
Deen Freelon, Ph.D.
Associate Professor