[Air-L] WeChat/Skype ethical issues

Loretta Anthony-Okeke loretta.okeke at manchester.ac.uk
Sat May 4 05:38:33 PDT 2019

Thanks for your comments and suggestions, Charles.
Much to consider.
Agree a well-designed informed consent protocol is key
Will have to see which of the more secure channels are not restricted in China and are acceptable to the ethics committee
I have often seen this as more of the university taking some of these decisions more for legal reasons (can data be compromised in terms of storage and transfer?) rather than ethical ones.
As an ‘ethicist’ myself ethical considerations I think are central to any research design
I hope a bit of extra work on this by then won’t put my students off engaging in research and time is not on our side (they’re slowly losing the will to go on- a PhD this is not after all)
In the meantime, I will follow up on your suggestions and look forward, with Keith’s kind permission, to reading some of his suggestions.

Best,

Loretta