[Air-L] CDs and DVDs? + potentially inappropriate query

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Sat May 4 06:47:28 PDT 2019

Hey Dan,

a thousand thanks on all fronts.

FWIW: during a recent visit to the States (Minneapolis, to be precise) I
was astonished to see the level of interest in / availability of vinyl,
beginning with a warehouse-sized retail store dedicated to same.
I'm still working on trying to synthesize and summarize from the many
terrific responses that have come this way - but so far, I can offer one
broad point.

There is no question but that, as the reviewer noted, CDs and DVDs are
largely no longer recognizable media for large swaths of students - but
this is variable in at least two ways.  One, broadly in terms of
national/cultural differences, as Jakob Jünger noted re. Germany; Sam
Phiri re. Zambia; and Xanat Meza re. Latin America - these remain
important media. Two - ditto for, e.g., those located in the more rural
areas of Australia who have comparatively limited bandwidth access, etc.

(Similar comments hold, so far as I can tell, for the FLOSS discussion -
though as others have also noted, while the debate in these terms is no
longer so prominent - that's in part because of moderate successes in
various forms that are now taken for granted.)

Speaking of bandwidth - since I've taken more than my share of it here
of late, I'll save more specific responses to these and others kind
enough to respond for offlist.  But again, a thousand thanks to one and
all - most helpful and all will be gratefully acknowledged.

best,
- c.

c.m.ess at media.uio.no