[Air-L] New book: Privacy and Identity in a Networked Society: Refining Privacy Impact Assessment

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Thu May 23 12:49:20 PDT 2019

Stefan (and AoIR),

Congratulations on the publication of "Privacy and Identity in a Networked
Society. Refining Privacy Impact Assessment" -

https://www.oeaw.ac.at/ita/publikationen/buecher/privacy-and-identity-in-a-networked-society/
.

Am curious how such questions will inform the development of a realistic
virtual earth / universe, and at the cellular and atomic levels too. (Am
thinking Google Streetview with time slider / maps / earth / tensor flow
and which is also wiki where we could all add our own video into such a
realistic virtual earth, and this would become integrated into the whole
+). See too this recent "depth prediction" Tweet from Google -
https://twitter.com/GoogleAI/status/1131615568753115136 (and in this
related blog post -
https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/05/redtail-sharkminnow-3-books-at-reed.html
).

Check out too the related CC-4 MIT OCW courses here at wiki World Univ &
Sch -
- https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Privacy

- https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Network_Society

- https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Virtual_Worlds
(all in https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Subjects)

Best regards, Scott
Privacy in a #RealisticVirtualEarth & @ cell/atom levels too (in Google
Streetview to add our own video integrated into whole +). See "Our depth
predictions">https://twitter.com/GoogleAI/status/1131615568753115136 (
https://scott-macleod.blogspot.com/2019/05/redtail-sharkminnow-3-books-at-reed.html)
Check out too related CC-4 MIT OCW courses
https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Privacy ~
- https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch/status/1131647658815176705 -

Best regards, Scott

On Thu, May 23, 2019 at 7:16 AM Stefan Strauß <sstrauss at oeaw.ac.at> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> I am happy to announce the following publication - forwarding to other
> interested persons is of course warmly welcome:
>
> Privacy and Identity in a Networked Society: Refining Privacy Impact
> Assessment. London/New York: Routledge, 2019. ISBN 978-1-138-32353-7
>
> synopsis below, further information:
>
> https://www.oeaw.ac.at/ita/publikationen/buecher/privacy-and-identity-in-a-networked-society/
>
> https://www.routledge.com/Privacy-and-Identity-in-a-Networked-Society-Refining-Privacy-Impact-Assessment/Strauss/p/book/9781138323537
>
> Best regards
> Stefan Strauß
>
> This book offers an analysis of privacy impacts resulting from and
> reinforced by technology and discusses fundamental risks and challenges
> of protecting privacy in the digital age.
> Privacy is among the most endangered "species" in our networked society:
> personal information is processed for various purposes beyond our
> control. Ultimately, this affects the natural interplay between privacy,
> personal identity and identification. This book investigates that
> interplay from a systemic, socio-technical perspective by combining
> research from the social and computer sciences. It sheds light on the
> basic functions of privacy, their relation to identity, and how they
> alter with digital identification practices. The analysis reveals a
> general privacy control dilemma of (digital) identification shaped by
> several interrelated socio-political, economic and technical factors.
> Uncontrolled increases in the identification modalities inherent to
> digital technology reinforce this dilemma and benefit surveillance
> practices, thereby complicating the detection of privacy risks and the
> creation of appropriate safeguards. Easing this problem requires a novel
> approach to privacy impact assessment (PIA), and this book proposes an
> alternative PIA framework which, at its core, comprises a basic typology
> of (personally and technically) identifiable information. This approach
> contributes to the theoretical and practical understanding of privacy
> impacts and thus, to the development of more effective protection
> standards.
>
> --
> Dr. Stefan Strauß
> Institute of Technology Assessment (ITA)
> Austrian Academy of Sciences
> 1030 Wien, Apostelgasse 23
> Phone: ++43 1 515 81 - 6599
> stefan.strauss at oeaw.ac.at
> http://www.oeaw.ac.at/ita/strauss
> Recently published:
> -Privacy and Identity in a Networked Society: Refining Privacy Impact
> Assessment. London/New York: Routledge.
>
> https://www.routledge.com/Privacy-and-Identity-in-a-Networked-Society-Refining-Privacy-Impact-Assessment/Strauss/p/book/9781138323537
> -From
> [...]

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President

- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org

- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission and any attachments are intended only
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure under applicable federal or state laws.  If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify me immediately by email or telephone.

World University and School is sending you this because of your interest in
free, online, higher education. If you don't want to receive these, please
reply with 'unsubscribe' in the body of the email, leaving the subject line
intact. Thank you.