[Air-L] Hey all, who are the world's top researchers on race and tech?

Sonja Solomun sonja.solomun at mail.mcgill.ca
Wed Nov 20 08:14:55 PST 2019

Great list of folks!

I would add:

Wendy Hui Kyong Chun
Charlton D. McIlwain
Ruha Benjamin

And https://criticalracedigitalstudies.com/

On Nov 20, 2019, at 11:08 AM, Noura Howell <noura at berkeley.edu<mailto:noura at berkeley.edu>> wrote:

Hi all, I'm a PhD student in the San Francisco Bay Area (UC Berkeley) and
so excited this is happening!

People I would suggest who are not already on this thread as far as I can
tell:

United States East Coast not Bay Area, I think she's a younger scholar
(still a grad student as of 2017, not sure right now) and it's good to
include younger scholars too! Rising star Joy Buolamwini
https://www.poetofcode.com/
https://www.media.mit.edu/people/joyab/overview/
https://www.media.mit.edu/people/joyab/updates/

Also depending on the type of event, this might be stretching the bounds a
bit to include artists who don't specifically engage "technology" writ
large (are there any artist like that left in the Bay Area?! yes!) Ra
Malika Imhotep, PhD Candidate in African American Studies at UC Berkeley,
https://bampfa.org/event/black-life-ra-malika-imhotep as well as the artist
curatorial collective of which she is a member, The Black Aesthetic
https://www.theblkaesthetic.com/team

Best wishes,

Noura Howell
Ph.D. Candidate