[Air-L] Marquette Computer Science hiring 2 Assistant Professors

Zimmer, Michael michael.zimmer at marquette.edu
Fri Oct 11 11:55:58 PDT 2019

Dear AoIR community:

For those of you following me online, you'll know how much I'm enjoying my new position in the Department of Computer Science at Marquette University. Now you can join me!

We're hiring two tenure-track positions in the broadly-defined areas of data science & cybersecurity.
We're casting a wide net (see the description below) and we are a very diverse and welcoming group (they even hired me!). Happy to answer any questions that might arise.

- Michael Zimmer

Assistant Professor in Computer Science (tenure track; two positions) Fall 2020
https://employment.marquette.edu/postings/12428

The Department seeks two individuals with a doctorate by time of appointment in computer science or a closely related field, whose areas of expertise address one of the many facets of the broadly defined areas in data science and cyber security. Examples include data-focused research in artificial intelligence, machine learning, bioinformatics, biomedical and health informatics, visualization and visual analytics, human-computer interaction, social computing, privacy, ethics, and cyber security research on cryptography, cryptographic hardware, secure software development, formal verification, language-based security, forensics, cloud and edge computing. Candidates with research in other areas with similar data science and security emphasis will be considered and are encouraged to apply. Exceptional candidates with research interests in other areas related to computer science will also be considered.

Preference will be given to applicants whose strong research record demonstrates potential for establishing an externally funded research program, and who can contribute to the Ph.D. program in Computer Science. Furthermore, candidates should demonstrate the ability to teach at the undergraduate and the graduate levels, and have excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.

The Department highly regards and encourages interdisciplinary research in both academia and industry. Marquette University is experiencing significant growth in computer science, data science, and affiliated areas. Marquette has recently partnered with Northwestern Mutual on a $40 million venture to establish the Northwestern Mutual Data Science Institute. This venture will provide research opportunities for the existing and new faculty members. For more information about the current Department and its programs, see https://www.marquette.edu/computer-science/.
Marquette University, an EOE that values diversity, is a Jesuit, Catholic university with a wide range of undergraduate and graduate programs. We seek candidates who understand and respect the University’s Mission Statement, which can be found at http://www.marquette.edu/about/mission.shtml. Candidates from underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply

All applications for this position must be received through Marquette’s electronic recruiting system https://employment.marquette.edu/postings/12428.

In addition to a cover letter (that includes a description of the candidate’s fit within the department) and current curriculum vitae, applicants should attach:
• a statement of research interests and any relevant collaborative experiences,
• a statement of teaching philosophy,
• an unofficial copy of their doctoral transcripts.

Additionally, applicants should arrange for three letters of reference to be sent to the Department’s email address “dsjobs at mscs.mu.edu”. Formal review of applicants will begin on November 10, 2019, and will continue until the position is filled with an outstanding candidate.

--
Michael Zimmer, PhD
Associate Professor, Department of Computer Science
michael.zimmer at marquette.edu
www.michaelzimmer.org
@michaelzimmer