[Air-L] emotion detection machines - round 2

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Fri Oct 25 06:13:04 PDT 2019

Dear AoIRists,

First of all, many thanks again to everyone who contributed suggestions
and critical comments regarding emotion detection machines.

My student settled on Senpy, despite important criticisms and
limitations, and is now in a second phase of analysis.

The student is collecting emotional analyses of both primary posts and
comments.  Primary posts range around 800 - comment posts are ca. 7000.
The student went through the primary posts, and found that Senpy misread
a post ca. 20% of the time, e.g., Senpy's analysis of a post might be
"sadness," but when read in context, the emotional response was clearly
happiness.

Query: what is there to do, if anything, with Senpy's analysis of the
7000+ comment posts?
It is not possible for the student to do the same process of manually
cleaning the data.
So: does the student just take up the results as they are, assuming that
there will likely be a 20% error rate and simply accept that as a limit
to the method / analysis?
Or: ???
I can't think of a good way forward here (no surprise: my PhD was on
Kant ...) - so I'm hoping very likely many AoIRists will have one or
more good solutions or suggestions.

Many thanks in advance, and all best,
- charles

--