[Air-L] cfp: Time and information, iConference 2020

Jutta Haider jutta.haider at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 03:31:05 PDT 2019

Call for Abstracts
About Time: Information through the lens of time and temporality
A one-day workshop at the *2020 **iConference*
<http://ischools.org/the-iconference/> to be held in Borås, Sweden on
Monday, *March 23, 2020*
We seek contributions attending to the multi-faceted ways in which time and
temporality are implicated in our understanding of information systems,
policies, practices, institutions, or discourses. Time is relatively
understudied notion in the field, and it cuts across and brings together
otherwise disparate research traditions and interests in a fundamental way
that demands further attention.
Thus, the *purpose* of the workshop is to bring together information
studies researchers, who are attending to notions of time and temporality
in relation to information or who are about to develop research in this
direction. The workshop intends to stimulate theoretical and
subject-related development on the issue of time and temporality in the
study of information, a complex and emerging field of study.

The workshop has three *goals*:
1.       Contribute to a *theoretically informed development *of notions of
time and temporality for the study of information
2.       *Networking* across different areas of the information field, thus
potentially opening up avenues for future directions
3.       Garner interest for a *special issue *of the *Journal of
Documentation *

*The theme of time/temporality and information includes, but is not limited
to:*
o   Time as a structuring device for information practices and activities
o   Information and different experiences of time
o   The social acceleration of time and information work
o   Temporal dimension of information systems
o   Time and social order
o   Information about time
o   Theoretical and methodological issues pertaining to studies of time and
information
o   Discourses of time and information
o   Critical perspectives on time and information
o   Generational aspects of information
o   Cultural heritage and memory practices
o   The temporalities of professional communication
o   The temporalities of scholarly communication

NOTE: these are examples and other issues at the intersection of
time/temporality and information are welcome.

Submission
We invite the submission of *extended abstracts *(700-1000 words, excl.
references). We encourage *different types of submissions*, incl.
conceptual, empirical, and methodological and at different stages of
completion, even ideas, explorations, or work in progress.
Submissions will be peer-reviewed by at least two members of the
organisation committee.
The submission is to be done via email: *about.time at hb.se
<about.time at hb.se>*
At least one author of each accepted abstract must register for the
conference and present the paper there. We will have a number of slots for
remote participation for authors not travelling to Sweden. This is in line
with the attempt to minimize academic travelling and supports researchers
flying less frequently to reduce carbon emissions.
Important dates
-          30th November: deadline for submission of abstracts
-          15th December: notification of acceptance
-          25th January: workshop programme sent out
Organisation committee

   - Jutta Haider, Lund University & SSLIS, Sweden
   - Veronica Johansson, SSLIS, Sweden
   - Björn Hammarfelt, SSLIS, Sweden
   - Pamela McKenzie, Western University, Canada
   - Alison Hicks, UCL, UK
   - Krista Lepik, Lund University Sweden & University of Tartu, Estland
   - Nicole Dalmer, Trent University, Canada

*Contact: jutta.haider at kultur.lu.se <jutta.haider at kultur.lu.se>*

Jutta Haider
Associate professor in Information Studies
Department of Arts and Cultural Sciences
Lund University, Sweden
<http://www.kultur.lu.se/person/JuttaHaider>
http://www.kultur.lu.se/en/person/JuttaHaider/