[Air-L] emotion detection machines - round 2

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Fri Oct 25 09:12:37 PDT 2019

Thanks, both -
excellent question / point, Annette.  Here are the research questions,
slightly anonymized:

RQ1. Is there an emotion bias on [a major newspaper's] Facebook page?
a) What is the distributions of emotions in news postings on the
newspaper's Facebook page?
b) What is the proportion of each emotion [of five emotions] in each
news posting?
c) What is the proportion of news with different emotions?
d) What are the top two dominant emotions and their patterns of
distribution in each news post?

RQ2. How do user’s emotions influence news’ sharing and diffusion? Or is
there a relationship between user’s emotions and the scales of news’
sharing and diffusion?
a) What is the relationship between the dominant emotion in a news post
and the numbers of engagement (the number of comments + the number of
sharing + the number of emoticons)
b) How does the average number of engagement differ when different
emotions come to the first position?

RQ3. Is there a relationship between the emotions of the news post on
the newspaper's Facebook site and the emotions conveyed by commentators?
Or What kind of emotion has a stronger agenda-setting effect on the
newspaper's Facebook site?

So, RQs 2 and 3 drive the need for collecting the comments and analyzing
their emotional contents vis-a-vis the emotional contents of a given
news post.

The larger curiosity is to determine what emotions drive / discourage
engagement.

Hope this helps - again, many thanks and looking forward to further
comments and suggestions.

best,
- c.

c.m.ess at media.uio.no