[Air-L] 18-month Postdoctoral Researcher position focused on the UK and German gig economy at the Oxford Internet Institute

Mark Graham mark.graham at oii.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 4 07:38:47 PDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

We are hiring again! This time an 18-month postdoc position
<https://fair.work/were-hiring-work-with-us-to-pilot-fairwork-uk-and-fairwork-germany/>
join the growing Fairwork team at the Oxford Internet Institute. The role
would involve action research with workers and gig economy platforms in
London and Berlin. Please pass on the below job advert to potential
candidates or relevant networks.

Apologies for cross-posting.

Kind regards,

Mark

*Researcher in Social ScienceOxford Internet Institute, 1 St Giles,
OxfordGrade 7: £32,236 – £39,609 p.a*

We are looking for someone to join our team of researchers
<https://fair.work/project-team/> from around the world. The Oxford
Internet Institute (OII) is seeking to appoint a Postdoctoral Researcher to
work with the Fairwork Foundation <https://fair.work/>. This position
provides an exciting opportunity to work with our team to co-develop
standards <https://fair.work/principles/> of fair work and apply them to
digital platforms in Germany and the UK.

Applicants will have a relevant postgraduate degree in sociology,
geography, anthropology, economics, development studies, or related fields.
Excellent writing, presentation abilities, and analytical skills are also
required. Applicants should be highly organised, be able to effectively
manage multiple ongoing tasks, and have experience coordinating between a
diverse group of stakeholders.

As the successful candidate, you will be based at Fairwork Foundation
within the Oxford Internet Institute. You will be part of a team of
researchers based in the UK, South Africa, India, and Germany, and will
collaborate with colleagues in those places to: co-develop thresholds and
principles of fair work that apply to the platform economy; design
strategies and carry out research to evaluate platforms against those
thresholds; collaborate in the preparation of publications and research
outputs to disseminate the evaluations of platforms against principles of
fair work.

Based in the heart of Oxford, this post is available immediately and is
fixed-term for 18 months in the first instance, with the possibility of
renewal thereafter. More information about the position is available here
<https://my.corehr.com/pls/uoxrecruit/erq_jobspec_version_4.display_form?p_company=10&p_internal_external=E&p_display_in_irish=N&p_process_type=&p_applicant_no=&p_form_profile_detail=&p_display_apply_ind=Y&p_refresh_search=Y&p_recruitment_id=142706>
.

Only online applications received before 12.00 midday on 10 October 2019
will be considered. Interviews for those shortlisted are scheduled on 28 or
29 October 2019.
Mark Graham

Professor of Internet Geography
Oxford Internet Institute, University of Oxford
@geoplace <http://twitter.com/geoplace> | markgraham.space

New publications:

Graham, M. (ed). 2019. Digital Economies at Global Margins
<https://www.idrc.ca/en/book/digital-economies-global-margins>. Cambridge
MA: MIT Press.

Graham, M., and Anwar, M. A. 2019. The Global Gig Economy: Towards a
Planetary Labour Market?
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00220388.2018.1554208> First
Monday. 24(4).  doi.org/10.5210/fm.v24i4.9913.
<http://twitter.com/geoplace>