[Air-L] emotion detection machine?

Charles M. Ess c.m.ess at media.uio.no
Thu Sep 5 03:52:13 PDT 2019

Dear colleagues,

One of our students is wanting to analyze emotional content in in the
comment fields of a major newspaper vis-a-vis specific hot-button issues.

She has a good tool (I think) for scrapping the data - but she is
stymied over the choice of an emotion analysis tool. She has looked at
Senpy (http://senpy.gsi.upm.es/#test) and  Twinword
<https://www.twinword.com/api/emotion-analysis.php> - the latter seems
the most accurate, but it is also expensive.
She has recently discovered DepecheMood emotion lexicons (Staiano, J., &
Guerini, M. (2014). Depechemood: a lexicon for emotion analysis from
crowd-annotated news. arXiv preprint arXiv:1405.1605.) - but this
suffers from a lack of clarity in terms of explaining its emotional
categories: awe, indifference, sad, amusement , annoyance, joy, fear and
anger.

For my part, I am entirely clueless.  Any suggestions that she might
pursue would be greatly appreciated.

best,
- charles ess
--