[Air-L] JOB: TT Asst Prof of Info, Tech & Public Life - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

Alice E. Marwick amarwick at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 08:40:32 PDT 2019

Hi all,

My newly funded research center (CITAP) is hiring an Assistant Professor to
start next fall. The PIs are myself, Zeynep Tufecki, Deen Freelon and
Daniel Kreiss. Hit me up if you have any questions! And please forward!

Alice (amarwick at unc.edu)

University of North Carolina - TT Assistant Professor of Information,
Technology, and Public Life
https://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/168556

Position Summary: The Center for Information, Technology, and Public Life
(CITAP) at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is searching for
an outstanding assistant professor to conduct research and teach in the
School of Information and Library Science (SILS). The Center includes
principal faculty, postdoctoral researchers, MA, and Ph.D. students from
SILS, the School of Media and Journalism, the Department of Communication
within the College of Arts and Sciences, and the School of Law. The Center
conducts research designed to further our understanding of the contemporary
digital media environment and how it shapes our democracy. This is a
tenure-track position.

Conduct significant research on the structure, organization, or experiences
of digital information environments and the impacts of technology on
democracy from the disciplinary perspectives of information, communication,
law, media studies, or adjacent disciplines. Teach two courses per semester
in the School of Information and Library Science. Participate in and
contribute to the activities of the School of Information and Library
Science and UNC Center for Information, Technology, and Public Life. Advise
undergraduates and graduate student theses and dissertations, and carry out
appropriate service. Hired candidates with a doctorate can anticipate an
initial appointment of Assistant Professor. Hired candidates with a
doctorate nearly completed can anticipate an initial appointment of
Instructor with Special Provision.

Educational Requirements: Ph.D., J.D., or equivalent in information,
communication, law, media studies, or adjacent disciplines. Candidates who
are very close to completion of their dissertations also will be
considered. Evidence of research excellence is required. Applicants with
research focused on information environments, platform companies,
artificial intelligence and machine learning and society, technological and
algorithmic governance, disinformation and media manipulation, polarization
and partisanship, civic use of technologies, and information law and policy
are strongly preferred. However, other areas of interest and specialization
will be considered. Applicants that qualify for this appointment with a
nearly completed doctorate should have a lower degree that also matches a
qualifying area of study.

Because the CITAP is interdisciplinary, we are open to a variety of
methodological approaches, although candidates should be comfortable
working with social scientists.

The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and
affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability,
gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national
origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected
veteran.

Deadline: Oct 1, 2019 (deadline is rolling but we will begin evaluating
applicants on Oct 1)

Contact: Susan Sylvester, Executive Assistant, ssylvest at email.unc.edu

Alice E. Marwick, PhD (she/her)
Assistant Professor, Department of Communication
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
amarwick at gmail.com
http://www.tiara.org  <http://www.tiara.org>