[Air-L] two Comms roles at the Berkman Klein Center

Elisabeth Sylvan sylvan at media.mit.edu
Tue Sep 10 08:28:18 PDT 2019

Long time lurker, first time poster.

The Berkman Klein Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University is
hiring two Comms roles: a Director of Communications
<https://cyber.harvard.edu/story/2019-08/opportunity-director-communications>and
a Digital Media Manager
<https://cyber.harvard.edu/story/2019-08/opportunity-digital-media-manager>.
These aren't Communication research positions, but are perfect for career
Communications practitioners who like to work adjacent to academic efforts.
If you are such a person, please apply! Or if you know people in the field,
please share the roles! These are *great* positions, very influential
within our organization at a moment when we are reflecting and refining the
Center's goals and strategy.

Feel free to reach out to me with questions: sylvan at cyber.harvard.edu

<sylvan at cyber.harvard.edu>
Best,
Lis

*Director of Communications*

*Duties & Responsibilities*

The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society seeks an experienced and
dynamic Director of Communications to develop the Berkman Klein Center’s
communications strategy and priorities and define how we tell the stories
of the Center’s research, education, tools, and global impact. The Director
will lead the communications team to implement that strategy, translating
the Center’s work using channels appropriate to our many different
audiences, and identify new platforms for showcasing the Center’s work. The
Director will work collaboratively across the organization, engaging with
leadership, research and public programming staff and leveraging and
engaging our diverse internal community of staff, fellows, interns,
collaborators, partners, and alums. Two-way communication, listening, and
feedback from BKC’s various constituencies will be a critical component of
the position, as will supporting and amplifying the voices of our community
and their projects. The Director of Communications will also lead internal
communications efforts including annual reports, community announcements,
promotion of events, and media monitoring, and support the organization to
maintain the highest quality communication practices.

The Director of Communications will work closely with a significant
cross-section of Berkman Klein community members, and will thrive in a
committed, collaborative, and tight-knit environment that encourages
creativity and humor, supports deep inquiry, values unique approaches to
solving problems, strives for transparency, continually builds upon best
practices and lessons learned, and supports its community members'
independent and collective goals.

Specific responsibilities include:

   - Drafting strategic priorities for the Center’s communications team
   (prioritization, providing direction)
   - Creating and communicating a coherent set of narratives to bring our
   projects to internal and external audiences
   - Creating analytic goals and frameworks to measure impact? Developing
   and practicing ongoing engagement modes to engage Center alumni, donors,
   and other key stakeholders
   - Writing and overseeing the production of white papers, blog posts,
   articles, and presentation decks
   - Understanding the nature of the work done by individual communication
   team members, providing guidance on task prioritization and
   problem-solving,conducting performance reviews, and supporting team
   members’ ongoing growth as professionals.
   - Formally and informally advising BKC staff on communications best
   practices both within the BKC ecosystem and in general. Examples include
   media training, writing for different audiences, etc.
   - Engaging and maintaining relationships with communications
   professionals around the University and nearby academic communities
   - Serving as a member of the Center's leadership team, helping to make
   decisions about processes, staffing, and other management issues as they
   arise

*Basic Qualifications*

Bachelor's degree plus a minimum of 7 years of professional experience in
Communications, Public Relations, or a related field required.

*Additional Qualifications*

   - Advanced degree in a related field preferred.
   - Experience in journalism including experience working at a leading
   media organization and a network of personal connections to media
   professionals.
   - Broad knowledge of scholarly research, public policy and legislation,
   and industry developments in the fields of communication technology is
   critical, as is the ability to effectively communicate that knowledge to
   diverse public and private audiences.
   - Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
   - Demonstrated sound judgment, exceptional ethical standards,
   discretion, and tact.
   - Background participating in, serving and engaging diverse communities.
   - Comfortable working both independently and closely with teams and
   collaborators in a diverse, dynamic environment.
   - Heart, verve, and vigor; a can-do attitude; a very good sense of humor
   and a strong desire to affect change in the world.
   - Experience with crisis management is nice to have.

*Additional Information*

As with all Berkman positions, this is a term appointment currently
expected to extend through June 30, 2020, with a strong possibility of
renewal based on continued funding and business needs.

The successful candidate will demonstrate deep expertise in the field of
communications including communications strategy, organizational
storytelling across multiple media platforms, public relations, and
hands-on execution. They will have previous experience as a communications
professional conveying core Berkman Klein research topics including (but
not limited to): Artificial Intelligence, Freedom of Expression, Internet
Freedom, Internet Governance, Technology and the Law, Youth and Media,
Surveillance, Security, Privacy, Open Access, Digital Humanities, Law,
Transparency, Information Quality, Journalism and Media, Student Privacy,
Innovation, Civic Activity and Engagement.

The successful candidate will have significant experience with proactive
and reactive media relations, identifying key media organizations,
individual media professionals, influencers, and practitioners to amplify
the Center’s work, and catering the voice of messaging to both audience and
platform. People from marginalized and under-represented communities are
highly encouraged to apply. Please see below for our full commitment to
diversity.
University is dedicated to exploring, understanding, and shaping the
development of the digitally-networked environment. A diverse,
interdisciplinary community of scholars, practitioners, technologists,
policy experts, and advocates, we seek to tackle the most important
challenges of the digital age while keeping focus on tangible real-world
impact in the public interest. Our faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates
conduct research, build tools and platforms, educate others, form bridges
and facilitate dialogue across and among diverse communities. More
information at www.cyber.harvard.edu.

Commitment to Diversity: The work and well-being of the Berkman Klein
Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University are strengthened
profoundly by the diversity of our network and our differences in
background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual
orientation, and much more. We are an equal opportunity employer and
actively seek and welcome applications from all applicants, including
people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with
disabilities, as well as applicants from researchers and practitioners from
across the spectrum of disciplines and methods.

All offers to be made by HLS Human Resources.

*Digital Media Manager*

*Duties & Responsibilities*The Berkman Klein Center for Internet & Society
at Harvard University seeks a Digital Media Manager who will spearhead the
production of our communications efforts. The Digital Media Manager will
work closely with a significant cross-section of Berkman Klein community,
and will thrive in a committed, collaborative, and tight-knit environment
that encourages creativity and humor, supports deep inquiry, values unique
approaches to solving problems, strives for transparency, continually
builds upon best practices and lessons learned, and supports its community
members' independent and collective goals.

The role will lead the production of the Center’s web, social media, and
print communications with the goal of increasing the visibility,
accessibility, understanding, and reach of the Center. The role will work
collaboratively across the organization, engaging with leadership, research
and public programming staff and leveraging and engaging our diverse
internal community of staff, fellows, interns, collaborators, partners, and
alums. The Manager will help implement our communications strategy by
translating the Center’s work using our website and other channels
appropriate to our various audiences. The manager will set up and monitor
analytics and use other qualitative measures of success where appropriate.
They will also support the development and release of internal
communications efforts including annual reports, community announcements,
promotion of events, and media monitoring. The role will project manage
multiple communications efforts at once, manage vendor relationships, and
liaise with project teams and community members.

Specific responsibilities include:

   - Managing and producing the Center’s website and associated web and
   social media channels, weekly external newsletters; helping maintain an
   editorial calendar; and creating rich and substantive content;
   - Coordinating and amplifying the publication of research reports and
   other scholarly works;
   - Producing or helping to oversee the production of a blend of unique
   media outputs, including blog posts, podcasts, videos, digital and print
   publications, event posters, and brand identities;
   - Managing relationships with outside vendors including writers, design
   firms, web developers, printers, and other service providers;
   - Formally and informally advising BKC staff, fellows, directors and
   project teams on communications initiatives related to their work and on
   communications best practices both within the BKC ecosystem and in general;
   - Managing digital assets and print materials including logos,
   letterhead, banners, fundraising materials, photos, archives, and other
   media;
   - Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting communications-related analytics;
   - Helping to promote BKC’s live events and event outputs;
   - Engaging and maintaining relationships with communications
   professionals around the University and nearby academic communities, as
   well as peer Centers and Initiatives.
   - Interfacing with the Berkman Center’s technical staff and external
   vendors regarding technical aspects of communications-related projects,
   including: project managing the ongoing maintenance of the Berkman Klein
   website; guiding content management system use and training; maintaining
   equipment and software used by Communications team; managing communications
   data; and other technology-related issues. Performs other duties as
   necessary.

*Basic Qualifications*

Bachelor’s degree required, and a minimum of 5 years of related
professional experience.

*Additional Qualifications*

   - A demonstrated track record of helping produce quality written and
   multimedia content for and managing various digital platforms, including
   content management systems such as Wordpress and Drupal, and social
   marketing and outreach tools such as MailChimp, Medium, LinkedIn,
   Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, and Facebook, as well as web analytics, SEO,
   and tools for tracking and boosting content reach;
   - Experience with developing and adapting content for new platforms,
   translating work for different audiences (both broadly and specifically
   defined), and picking up new storytelling tools and techniques;
   - Familiarity or better with some set of the following: media production
   including photography, audio and video including includes tools such as
   DSLR and smartphone cameras, microphones, and video cameras; basics of
   graphic design, illustration, or video/audio/photo editing, including
   software such as Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere,
   Lightroom, and Acrobat;
   - Thrives working both independently and closely with teams and
   collaborators in a diverse, dynamic environment;
   - Heart, verve, and vigor; a can-do attitude; a very good sense of
   humor; and a strong desire to affect change in the world;
   - Exceptional written and verbal communication skills;
   - Experience working with press is extremely helpful;
   - Demonstrates sound judgment, exceptional ethical standards,
   discretion, and tact.

*Additional Information*
As with all Berkman positions, this is a term appointment currently
expected to extend through June 30, 2020, with a strong possibility of
renewal based on continued funding and business needs.

We are an interdisciplinary, multimodal, and entrepreneurial research
center, and our community addresses issues including, but not limited to:
Artificial Intelligence, Freedom of Expression, Internet Freedom, Youth and
Media, Surveillance, Security, Privacy, Open Access, Digital Humanities,
Law, Transparency, Information Quality, Journalism and Media, Student
Privacy, Innovation, Civic Activity and Engagement, and many more.
Successful candidates will have awareness of key issues and institutions in
the Internet & society space, and be able to quickly learn about
scholarship and activities in the areas in which they are not as familiar.
Successful candidates will be excited about how to share our efforts in
novel, clear, and innovative ways, using compelling storytelling techniques
and tools, and considering how the Center will integrate these
communications practices into our workflow.

University is dedicated to exploring, understanding, and shaping the
development of the digitally-networked environment. A diverse,
interdisciplinary community of scholars, practitioners, technologists,
policy experts, and advocates, we seek to tackle the most important
challenges of the digital age while keeping focus on tangible real-world
impact in the public interest. Our faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates
conduct research, build tools and platforms, educate others, form bridges
and facilitate dialogue across and among diverse communities. More
information at cyber.harvard.edu.

Commitment to Diversity: The work and well-being of the Berkman Klein
Center for Internet & Society are profoundly strengthened by the diversity
of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience,
national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity,
race, ethnicity, age, ability, and much more. We actively seek and welcome
people of color, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, persons with disabilities,
and people at intersections of these identities, from across the spectrum