[Air-L] 2 Jobs @ 🔱Arizona State University (closing NOV 1)

Alexander Halavais alex at halavais.net
Wed Sep 25 10:09:10 PDT 2019

Hi, all,

We are again hiring into our programs in data and society here at ASU's New
College, and would love to have you join us in Phoenix to help us build our
research cluster. Two listings below: one at the assistant level, the other
(scroll, scroll, scroll) a postdoc in the same area. If you know someone
interested, please feel free to share these with them. And if you have any
questions, shoot them my way.

Best,

Alex

1. Assistant Professor of Social Technologies / Critical Data Studies

The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences in the New College of
Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University (ASU) is
seeking a full-time, benefits-eligible, tenure-track Assistant Professor of
Social Technologies / Critical Data Studies to conduct research and teach
at the intersection of data and social sciences. ASU’s New College offers a
rich, interdisciplinary environment within a university that has been
selected as the most innovative in the United States for the last five
years. Situated within a school that includes faculties in anthropology,
communication, political science, psychology, social technologies, and
sociology, we seek scholars who will pursue programs of inquiry with
national and international influence. In addition, our new colleague will
be highly engaged in shaping the future of critical data studies across ASU
and beyond.

The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences is presently in a period of
expansion and innovation around new initiatives and programs. Since Fall
2017, the School has added ten new tenured/tenure-track faculty, in
addition to several lecturers and postdoctoral positions. This academic
year, the School has been approved to recruit five additional
tenured/tenure-track faculty, including the current position, and a
Critical Data Studies postdoctoral scholar.

Required qualifications: a) Ph.D. in Communication, Computer Science,
Geography, Information Science, Political Science, Psychology, Science and
Technology Studies, Sociology, or a cognate field by the time of
appointment; b) Evidence of an ongoing research program that demonstrates a
deep investigation of the intersection of data and society; c) Demonstrated
excellence in teaching and research commensurate with appointment at the
level of Assistant Professor at ASU.

Desired Qualifications: a) Evidence of innovation in computational
methods/data science and demonstrated expertise in any of the following: i)
the relationship of algorithms and automation to social change, ii) the
politics and policies of platforms, iii) critical approaches to social
sciences using big data and computational approaches, and iv) social
dimensions of wearable and IoT systems; b) Evidence of the potential to
establish a strong, externally-funded research program; c) An interest in
engaging in interdisciplinary collaborations in research; d) A commitment
to undergraduate and graduate teaching and mentoring; e) A demonstrated
interest in promoting and supporting diversity through service and
research; f) experience in and skill with addressing issues of equality in
the classroom; and g) experience in and/or willingness to engage with
culturally responsive teaching and its importance to students' lives,
interests, and communities

More information about ASU’s School of Social and Behavioral Sciences can
be found at https://newcollege.asu.edu/directory/sbs. More information
about ASU’s New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences can be found
at http://newcollege.asu.edu. To learn about ASU's unique mission and
charter, please see: https://www.asu.edu/about/. Arizona State University
has a strong commitment to a diverse faculty, one that is reflective of the
contemporary United States.

Arizona State University is deeply committed to positioning itself as one
of the great new universities by seeking to build excellence, enhance
educational access and have an impact on our community, state, nation and
the world. To do that requires our faculty and staff to reflect the
intellectual, ethnic and cultural diversity of our nation and world so that
our students learn from the broadest perspectives, and we engage in the
advancement of knowledge with the most inclusive understanding possible of
the issues we are addressing through our scholarly activities.

Deadline: November 1, 2019. Applications will continue to be accepted on a
rolling basis for a reserve pool.  Applications in the reserve pool may
then be reviewed in the order in which they were received until the
position is filled.

Application procedure: Applications will only be accepted electronically
via Interfolio: http://apply.interfolio.com/68316

Requested material will include: 1) a letter of application, which
explicitly addresses your academic experience, situates your research in
the field and notes your teaching philosophy; 2) a current curriculum vitae
with contact information; and 3) the names and contact information for
three references (references will not be contacted during initial review
and will only be contacted after candidate notification).

ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a
criminal background check, verification of work history, academic
credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon
successful passing of the background check.

In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus
security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and
Fire Safety Report is available online at
https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a
hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at
480-965-3456.

Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal
Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will be
considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin,
disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
ASU's full non-discrimination statement (ACD 401) and Title IX policy are
located at https://www.asu.edu/aad/manuals/acd/acd401.html and
https://www.asu.edu/titleIX .

.- ... .-- .- ... .-- .- ... .-- .- ... .-- .- ... .-- .- ... .-- .- ...
.-- .- ... .-- .- ... .--

2. Postdoctoral Scholar of Social Technologies / Critical Data Studies

 The School of Social and Behavioral Sciences in the New College of
Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University (ASU) is
seeking a full-time, benefits-eligible Postdoctoral Scholar in Social
Technologies / Critical Data Studies to conduct research and teach at the
intersection of data and social sciences. This scholar will be expected to
conduct their own independent program of research and teach 1 course per
academic year. We seek scholars who will pursue programs of inquiry with
national and international influence. There is an expectation of funding
for up to two years, with the possibility of a start date as early as
January 2020. The scholar would be expected to be in residence at ASU.

ASU’s New College offers a rich, interdisciplinary environment within a
university that has been selected as the most innovative in the United
States for the last five years. Critical Data Studies is situated within a
school that includes faculties in anthropology, communication, political
science, psychology, social technologies, and sociology. The School of
Social and Behavioral Sciences is presently in a period of expansion and
innovation around new initiatives and programs. Since Fall 2017, the School
has added ten new tenured/tenure-track faculty, in addition to six new
lecturers and two postdoctoral positions. This academic year, the School
has been approved to recruit five additional tenured/tenure-track faculty,
including a tenure-track Assistant Professor in Critical Data Studies, five
new Lecturers and two more postdoctoral scholars, including the current
position.

Required qualifications: The successful candidate must have: a) Ph.D. in
Communication, Computer Science, Geography, Information Science, Political
Science, Psychology, Science and Technology Studies, Sociology, or a
cognate field by the time of appointment; b) Evidence of an ongoing
research program that demonstrates a deep investigation of the intersection
of data and society; and, c) An ability for the Postdoctoral Scholar to be
in residence at ASU.

Desired Qualifications: a) Evidence of innovation in computational
methods/data science and demonstrated expertise in any of the following: i)
the relationship of algorithms and automation to social change, ii) the
politics and policies of platforms, iii) critical approaches to social
sciences using big data and computational approaches, and iv) social
dimensions of wearable and IoT systems; b) Evidence of the potential to
establish a strong, externally-funded research program; c) An interest in
engaging in interdisciplinary collaborations in research; d) A demonstrated
interest in promoting and supporting diversity through service and
research; e) experience in and skill with addressing issues of equality in
the classroom; and f) experience in and/or willingness to engage with
[...]

explicitly addresses your academic experience and situates your research in
the field; 2) a current curriculum vitae with contact information; and 3)
[...]

// Alexander Halavais  (he/him/his)    @halavais     alex.halavais.net/bio

// Associate Professor of Data & Society.   Director of MA in Social Tech
// Arizona State University,  New College,  Social & Behavioral Sciences
// 2nd edition of Search Engine Society now 29% off!   amzn.to/2FkKtYq