[Air-L] emotion detection machine?

Aysenur Ataman aataman at gradcenter.cuny.edu
Thu Sep 5 07:18:17 PDT 2019

Dear Charles,

You make a great point about categories of emotions at the end of your email. Scholars interested in emotions have many theories and ways of categorizing humans’ affective states (positive vs. negative; primary vs. secondary, etc.). First, I would urge your student to investigate different classifications of emotions and humans ways of expressing them. By jumping ahead this step and seeking commercial tools (sometimes with no solid background and clarification), we miss the chance of grounding our findings and reporting reliable analysis. I find Significance Analysis (Daiute, 2014)<https://uk.sagepub.com/en-gb/eur/narrative-inquiry/book240491> based on Labov and Waletzky (1997)<http://Labov,%20W.,%20&%20Waletzky,%20J.%20(1997).%20Narrative%20analysis:%20Oral%20versions%20of%20personal%20experience.%20Journal%20of%20Narrative%20&%20Life%20History,%207(1-4),%203-38.> work particularly useful in combining importance of linguistic elements and psychological states.

Based on those readings, motivate your student to read the textual data (comments) repeatedly and come up with their own categorization. This step allows the researcher to be mindful about the contextually significant elements of the textual data. What clues can be used to infer the emotional tone of the comment? Ability to use R after this step would be especially useful because programming skills would allow the student to be flexible and not dependent on existing categories the above mentioned tools use.

Jess suggested LICW. And Stu suggested Discover Text. Those two would be my only recommendations if researcher-led analysis is not possible for now.

Lastly, congrats for caring so much about your students’ research idea and seeking help for them!

Ayşenur Benevento
Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Abdullah Gül University