[Air-L] emotion detection machine?

Shulman, Stu stu at texifter.com
Sat Sep 7 04:53:29 PDT 2019

Sally,

Machine generated sentiment analysis scores are sometimes abused as a
shortcut to avoid certain forms of manual/mental labor in a variety of
commercial and academic contexts. Language tools are in this scenario
treated as a magic buttons to be deployed against corpora in the name of
charts untouched by serious validation. I prefer it when humans are
in-the-loop, which itself is recursive (meaning you repeat until there is
no room to improve), using tools as filters to generate purposive samples
that humans annotate and collectively validate using a systematic process.

Sentiment problems range from hard to harder and hardest, where hardest
means you cannot do it in a manner that can be validated by any means.
There is no easy on this scale of tasks if false positive or negatives
could cost a life or some other serious consequence, but to make it easier,
requires a process, grossly boiled down below:

1. Collect a relevant and representative corpus of data,
2. Build a SPAM detection classifier to remove non-relevant data (ex.,
wrong language OR no discernible sentiment),
3. Build a topic classifier and focus on one key topic first (not all
topics at once),
4. Solve the Rubik's cube of how many codes and what they really mean (ex.,
happy/sad OR angry/frustrated/both/neither...),
5. Test the topic-specific annotation scheme with a group of no less than
five independent annotators (not just two),
6. Crowd source the task to larger groups when possible, using memo writing
to identify boundary cases that kill/modify models,
7. Use iteration to identify elite annotators through recursive validation,
memo reviews, and scoring against a gold standard.

The goal is to build task- and language-specific machine classifiers using
the best possible human experts in the process. The main idea, however, is
to keep a critical role for humans.

~Stu

Dr. Stuart W. Shulman
Founder and CEO, Texifter