[Air-L] Come talk digital methods in Hawaii this January

Alexander Halavais alex at halavais.net
Mon Apr 6 18:01:38 PDT 2020

Hello, Aoirers,

I hope you are all keeping well at home, but I suspect you may be ready to
see people "away from keyboard" soon enough. If you have an interest in
digital methods, why not join us for HICSS in Kauai from January 5-8.

For more information, see the description below, or reach out to Shawn
Walker (shawn.w at asu.edu), Matthew Webber (msw at umn.edu), or me (
theprof at asu.edu).

There has been an explosion of research using social media data to study
human behavior and social interaction in almost every domain of social
science. While the body of literature using digital and social media data
is growing at a staggering rate, accompanying methodological contributions
about the process of conducting research with digital and social media data
remains thin. The existing methodological literature is typically tool or
technology driven, and not a result of empirical examination of the data
collection process.This leaves researchers without an understanding of how
to approach or evaluate the social media data collection process, and in
turn, how to appropriately interpret findings from this type of research.
As a result, researchers, practitioners, and students are left to
continually reinvent the wheel by learning through a process of trial and
error.

This minitrack addresses this gap by providing a venue to discuss
methodological issues and approaches to conducting research with digital
and social media data. We welcome papers related to methodological
challenges for researchers including, but not limited to: (1) the need for
new methods for data collection and analysis, (2) adaptations of existing
methods (3) issues of representation and sampling, (4) ephemerality of
social media data, (5) holistic collection of digital social media data and
associated content such as images/URLs/video, (6) preservation, archiving,
and data sharing, and (7) impact of changing platform affordances,
interfaces, designs, and APIs.

https://hicss.hawaii.edu/tracks-54/digital-and-social-media/#digital-methods-minitracks

Best,

Alex

--
// Alexander Halavais    (he/him)      @halavais       alex.halavais.net/bio

// Associate Prof. of Critical Data Studies - Director of MA in Social Tech
// Arizona State University,  New College,  Social & Behavioral Sciences
// "I want to see you not through the Machine," said Kuno. "I want to
// speak to you not through the wearisome Machine."