[Air-L] Definition of technology?

Mark Davis davismr at unimelb.edu.au
Tue Apr 7 19:37:42 PDT 2020

Hi Ana,

An excellent short history of the term can be found here:

Mcquire, Scott 2006, ‘Technology’, Theory, Culture & Society, vol. 23, no. 2–3, pp. 253–269.

Drones weren't a thing back then, but the article will give you plenty of stepping off points in terms of thinking about tech. If you can't access it, send me a direct email and I'll drop you a copy.

Best
Mark

---
Associate Professor Mark Davis
School of Culture and Communication
The University of Melbourne

Recent publications: Davis, M 2019, ‘Transnationalising the anti-public sphere: Australian anti-publics and extremist online media’, in M Peucker & D Smith (eds), The Far Right in Contemporary Australia, Palgrave Macmillan, New York, pp. 127–149; Davis, M 2019, ‘A new, online culture war? The communication world of Breitbart.com’, Communication Research and Practice, available: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/22041451.2018.1558790; Davis, M 2018, ‘“Globalist war against humanity shifts into high gear”: Online anti-vaccination websites and “anti-public” discourse’, Public Understanding of Science, available: https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0963662518817187; Davis, M 2018, ‘“Culture is inseparable from race”: culture wars from Pat Buchanan to Milo Yiannopolous’, M/C Journal, [S.l.], v. 21, n. 5, Dec 2018. ISSN 14412616. Available at: http://journal.media-culture.org.au/index.php/mcjournal/article/view/1484.