[Air-L] Definition of technology?

Svein Sando SveinSando at dmmh.no
Wed Apr 8 02:15:37 PDT 2020

Hi

I will recommend
Scharff, R. & Dusek, Val (eds.) (2003). Philosophy of Technology. The Technological Condition. An Anthology. Blackwell Publishing.

You might also consider using Aristotle and his description of téchnē, which is kind of mother of all other thoughts about what technology is about. Read his Nicomachean Ethics (NE), Book VI ch. 4. Téchnē may be translated as art, craftsmanship or skill. Téchnē in NE put in connection with episteme (scientific knowledge) and phrónēsis (practical wisdom). Téchnē differentiates itself from episteme in that episteme is about demonstration (→facts)  whereas téchnē is something that you can deliberate about. Phrónēsis is also something you can deliberate about, but where phrónēsis has itself as an end (human happiness/flourishment, eudaimonia), that is not true about téchnē. Thus téchnē is instrumental. Aristotle uses architecture (oikodomene) as one example of téchnē.

Svein Sando, Professor
Queen Maud University College of Early Childhood Education
Thrond Nergaards Veg 7
NO-7044 TRONDHEIM
Norway
Phone +47 73805226 – Email ses at dmmh.no – Website https://www2.dmmh.no/~ses/index.php?nid=1&eng=1