[Air-L] Definition of technology?

Philipp Budka ph.budka at philbu.net
Wed Apr 8 07:39:38 PDT 2020

Dear Ana,

For anthropological perspectives on technology and possible definitions,
see e.g.

Adams, R. McC. (1996). Paths of fire: An anthropologist's inquiry into
western technology. Princeton: Princeton University Press.

de la Cadena, M. et al. (2015). Anthropology and STS: Generative
interfaces, multiple locations. HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory,
5(1), 437-475. https://doi.org/10.14318/hau5.1.020

Escobar, A. (1995). Anthropology and the future: New technologies and
the reinvention of culture. Futures, 27(4), 409-421.

Fischer, M. J. (2007). Four genealogies for a recombinant anthropology
of science and technology. Cultural Anthropology, 22(4), 539-615.

Gell, Alfred (1988). Technology and magic. Anthropology Today 4(2), 6-9.

Hess, D. J., & Layne, L. (Eds.). (1992). Knowledge and society. Volume
9, The anthropology of science and technology. London: JAI Press.

Ingold, T. (1997). Eight themes in the anthropology of technology.
Social Analysis, 41(1), 106-138.

Latour, B. (2014). Technical does not mean material. HAU: Journal of
Ethnographic Theory, 4(1), 507-510. https://doi.org/10.14318/hau4.1.033

Pfaffenberger, B. (1988). Fetishised objects and humanised nature:
Towards an anthropology of technology. Man, 23(2), 236-252.

Pfaffenberger, B. (1992). Social anthropology of technology. Annual
Review of Anthropology, 21, 491-516.

Sigaut, F. (1997). Technology. In T. Ingold (Ed.), Companion
encyclopedia of anthropology: Humanity, culture and social life. London:
Routledge.

All the best,

Philipp