[Air-L] Covering Controversial Issues in Online Teaching

崔玺 Xi Cui tocuixi at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 6 06:47:12 PDT 2020

Dear colleagues,

My name is Dr. Xi Cui from the Communication Department, College of Charleston. I'd like to invite you to complete a short survey about online teaching.

In the spring semester, the coronavirus pandemic suddenly forced almost all of us to switch to online teaching. Meanwhile, we have heard about calls from political groups to out professors by sharing the audio/videos of their “blatant indoctrination<https://twitter.com/charliekirk11/status/1241820673007161345?fbclid=IwAR16yRfyCt5aXGdnlql_Ezs9eHzkoYkeBAuhWj6Ykhu0h6XMGMnkQVHOvD8>” in online courses.
Controversial issues are important vehicles of critical thinking and civic engagement. But online teaching also makes it easier to share the course content or out-of-context soundbites when controversial topics are covered.

In this study, we want to understand how professors approach this dilemma.

The survey will take you no more than 10 minutes to finish and your participation will be completely voluntary and anonymous. There will be no monetary compensation for the participation. However, we hope the insights gained from your answers can help us better serve the students, advance our professional mission, and meanwhile, protect ourselves.

To participate, you must be the teacher of record (including tenure-track professors, visiting/adjunct professors, post-doc fellows, and graduate teaching assistants) of an undergraduate-level course in social sciences or humanities.

If you are willing to participate in the survey, please follow the link below for more “informed consent” information.

Survey link: bit.ly/TeachingControversy<http://bit.ly/TeachingControversy>

Thank you very much!

Regards,

Xi Cui, PhD., Assistant Professor