[Air-L] Aspen Tech Policy Hub Webinar: Disaster Tech August 19 9am PT

Betsy Cooper aspentechpolicyhub at aspeninstitute.org
Mon Aug 10 13:27:04 PDT 2020

August 19 Webinar

Disaster Tech: Preparing for Unprecedented Crisis

If there is anything that the COVID-19 crisis has taught us, it is the
importance of planning for future large scale risks. How can we change or
use technology to better prepare for the looming crisis of climate change
and other disasters?

Join Aspen Tech Policy Hub [1]Fellows as they showcase their projects
focused on the theme: Disaster Tech: Preparing for Unprecedented Crisis.
Following the presentations of the projects, Carlos J. Castillo, incoming
Chief Development Officer of Tidal Basin Group, will give further remarks.
This webinar is part of our Demo Days event series. Learn more [2]on our
website.

In other news, past Aspen Tech Policy Hub Fellows [3]Samara Trilling and
[4]Alex Rosenblat share articles this week on how coronavirus is affecting
[5]home ownership and the [6]gig economy. Read more below.

[7]RSVP

Disaster Tech: Preparing for Unprecedented Crisis, August 19, 9am PT.

The projects to be presented are:

Helpful Alternative Link Protocol: When disaster strikes, reliable and
easy-to-use communications become absolutely critical. Dependable
communications are needed to pair those in distress with those able to
provide assistance. [8]Alexander ‘RoRo’ Romero designed a project that aims
to improve the resilience of cell networks and backup systems that are
currently in use in a range of disaster-based situations.

Tech Companies Combating Climate Change: To avoid the worst effects of
climate change, scientific consensus states that CO₂ emissions must decline
40 to 60 percent by 2030 to keep our planet from warming more than 1.5°C.
To achieve these goals, the software industry, whose climate impact from
cloud computing is often underestimated, must significantly
change. [9]Raylene Yung led a project that will help investors and startups
with tools to understand the environmental impact of their cloud computing.

[10]

[11]RSVP

Aspen Tech Policy Hub Fellows in the News

The exciting and timely projects and research from our 2020 and 2019
fellows are already beginning to make an impact in the tech policy space.
We are thrilled to share that past fellows [12]Samara Trilling and [13]Alex
Rosenblat are making headlines:

[14]"How Coronavirus Will Keep You From Owning Your Dream House" by Samara
Trilling via [15]Morning Consult

[16]"Gig Work Used to be a Recession Safety Net. Not Anymore" by Alex
Rosenblat via [17]Fast Company

CONTACT US
[18]Twitter [19]Email Address [20]Website