[Air-L] how tweeting is changing in the covid-19 era

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 06:14:23 PDT 2020

Given all of the research on Twitter and COVID-19, I thought many on this
list would find useful our just-related update to last year's in-depth look
at Twitter's evolution 2012-2019, this time updating it through the end of
June 2020 and showing how tweeting has changed during the pandemic.

Some highlights include the enormous surge in tweeting from Mar. 12-30
which has remained sustained in the months since, the influx of new users,
the reduced number of links being shared and the sharp decline in geotagged
tweets.

These statistics are especially useful for normalizing COVID-19-related
findings to determine whether results are specific to pandemic discourse or
merely reflect background changes in Twitter usage itself:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/visualizing-twitters-evolution-2012-2020-and-how-tweeting-is-changing-in-the-covid-19-era/