[Air-L] : question on data policy for research on extremist social media content

Maura Conway maura.conway at dcu.ie
Tue Aug 11 02:53:22 PDT 2020

Hi Catherine (and All),

This is actually a legal issue that's heavily dependent on the jurisdiction
in which you find yourself. In the EU, probably the most restrictive
context--or the one in which one needs to be most mindful--is the UK. A
useful perspective on holding and accessing extremist and terrorist content
within that jurisdiction is this Universities UK document:
https://www.universitiesuk.ac.uk/policy-and-analysis/reports/Pages/security-sensitive-research-material-UK-universities-guidance.aspx
.

The Researcher Resources section of the VOX-Pol website may also be useful,
esp. if you're interested also in some of the broader ethics issues
pertaining in this area; see  https://www.voxpol.eu/researcher-resources/.

Best,
Maura

*Prof. Maura Conway*
School of Law and Government
Dublin City University
Glasnevin
Dublin 9
Ireland

Tel. +353 1 700 6472
E-Mail. maura.conway at dcu.ie
Skype. galwaygrrl

Twitter: @galwaygrrl

Website: http://doras.dcu.ie/view/people/Conway=3AMaura=3A=3A.html

**********

VOX-Pol Project on Violent Online Political Extremism

Website: http://www.voxpol.eu

Twitter: @VOX_Pol

On Mon, 10 Aug 2020 at 20:23, Kolina S Koltai <koltai at utexas.edu> wrote:

> You might find this piece by data & society helpful.
>
> https://datasociety.net/library/oxygen-of-amplification/
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 12:09 PM Tarleton L. Gillespie <tlg28 at cornell.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > Not a policy, but this research will be of interest to you:
> >
> > Banchik, A. V. (2020). Disappearing acts: Content moderation and emergent
> > practices to preserve at-risk human rights–related content. New Media &
> > Society.
> > https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1461444820912724
> >

> > On 8/10/20, 3:06 PM, "Air-L on behalf of cbouko" <
> > air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org on behalf of catherine.bouko at ugent.be>
> > wrote:
> >
> >     Hi all,
> >
> >     I have often had informal conversations with peers about the problem
> of
> >     sharing (violent) extremist content extracted from social media
> > between us,
> >     insofar as one could be considered as purveyors of extremist
> > propaganda in
> >     doing so, even if one shares such data for scientific purposes. I
> > haven't
> >     found any policy of that kind on the internet, though. Do you have
> some
> >     links to such policies or documents, please?
> >
> >     Thanks very much!
> >
> >     Wishing you a lovely summer,
> >
> >     Catherine
> >
> >     --
> >     Catherine Bouko
> >
> >     Ghent University
> >     Faculty of Arts and Philosophy
> >     Groot-Brittanniëlaan 45
> >     9000 Gent
> >     Belgium
> >     Bureau: B2.06
> >     http://research.flw.ugent.be/en/catherine.bouko
> >
> >     Join the Association of Internet Researchers:
> >     http://www.aoir.org/

> > http://www.aoir.org/
>

> --
> Kolina Koltai, PhD
> The University of Texas at Austin
> School of Information
> kolinakoltai.com

*

*Séanadh Ríomhphoist/Email Disclaimer*

*Tá an ríomhphost seo agus aon
chomhad a sheoltar leis faoi rún agus is lena úsáid ag an seolaí agus sin
amháin é. Is féidir tuilleadh a léamh anseo.
<https://sites.google.com/view/seanadh-riomhphoist>*

*This e-mail and any
files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended solely for use
by the addressee. Read more here.
<https://sites.google.com/view/dcu-email-disclaimer>*

*

--