[Air-L] Big Data Analysis for Social Scientists 3-day online course, 8-10 February 2021

Robert Ackland robert.ackland at anu.edu.au
Thu Dec 3 05:14:49 PST 2020

I'm running a 3-day online version of my "Big Data Analysis for Social
Scientists" course, 8-10 February 2021.

The course covers an introduction to the collection and analysis of
socially-generated 'big data' using the R statistical software, with a
focus on social media networks (Twitter, YouTube and Reddit), hyperlink
networks, and text data. The course is designed for academics and PhD
students who want to become more computationally literate, and those
from technical disciplines who want to become more familiar with social
science approaches to big data research. The course is also useful for
people from industry and government whose work involves analysing
network and text data collected from social media and the WWW.

https://www.acspri.org.au/online-summer-program-2021
https://www.acspri.org.au/online-summer-program-2021/big-data-analysis-social-scientists-online-3-days

We'll be covering VOSON R tools for collecting/analysing online network
data, R/igraph for network analysis, text analysis in R, and Gephi for
network visualisation.

The time difference might make this challenging for some participants (I
am located in Canberra, Australia), but all sessions (via zoom) will be
recorded and available to participants for up to 30 days after the
course, and so it may be that you can attend some of the sessions in
person and follow the others at a more convenient time.

*Please note that the early-bird rate is available until 9th December*

--

Robert Ackland
School of Sociology & VOSON Lab

e-mail: robert.ackland at anu.edu.au <mailto:robert.ackland at anu.edu.au>