[Air-L] Free Webinar - Challenges and possibilities of visual methodologies in researching housing/home

Harry Dyer (EDU - Staff) Harry.T.Dyer at uea.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 13:37:47 PST 2020

The University of East Anglia's School of Education and Lifelong Learning will be hosting a free webinar on Monday, December 14, at 13:00 PM · UK time that may be of interest to colleagues.

Have you ever thought of using the power of the visual as a methodological tool? Visual methods have long been mobilised in the social sciences, but they are still under-represented compared to more traditional methods such as interviews, focus groups or surveys. In this presentation I focus on a particular strand of visual-elicitation, participant-generated photo- elicitation. This method of in-depth interviewing relies on participants talking about photographs they have taken themselves. Reflecting on two recent projects on the housing experiences of low-income private tenants in the UK, I will shows that the method delivers a deeper and different knowledge by empowering participants to talk about what is important to them, by breaking taken-for-granted understanding, and by stimulating reflexivity. Finally, by allowing us to enter in participants’ home located miles away, it inspired us to develop a new theorization of home as assemblage.

The webinar will be presented by Dr Adriana Mihaela Soaita, a Research Fellow at the University of Glasgow. Dr Soaita's research has focused on some of the ways in which housing and home are permeated by, and shape our ideas of, politics and power, trust and governance, space and place, emotions and embodiment.

To register for the seminar, please visit: https://www.bigmarker.com/UEAUK/Challenges-and-possibilities-of-visual-methodologies-in-researching-housing-home