[Air-L] Visiting Assistant Professor Job at University of Maryland in Race & Media

Sarah Ann Oates soates at umd.edu
Mon Dec 28 14:57:28 PST 2020

Hi, I'm the search chair for this job -- would love to see applications
from people studying social/digital media and race, etc. Just email me at
soates at umd.edu if you have information questions, etc. Full ad is here:

https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/80394

but I'll also paste in our flyer text below as well. Please forward to
those you think might be interested -- there is some great work in this
area.

The Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland
seeks a Visiting Assistant Professor to start in August 2021. This is a
one-year post with the possibility of renewal for a second year. Merrill
College anticipates a search for a tenure-track faculty member once a state
hiring freeze is lifted. This individual will be welcome to apply.

We seek an active scholar with demonstrated cutting-edge research and
innovative teaching interests in journalism/race/social media (both
qualitative and quantitative approaches are welcome). Interests can include
any of the following:

• How media and race intersect with topics such as politics; health
inequities; environmental injustice, and social justice. Research could
include how race impacts sports; popular culture; protest movements;
wealth; poverty, housing, social exclusion, and power structures
• Modes and theories of investigation, e.g. Critical Race Theory, systemic
racism and institutional racism, including anti-racism movements impacting
U.S. culture and politics
• Social media and race, including studies of online protests, implicit
bias, disinformation and misinformation, racial exclusion, and the
cultivation of social media groups divided by race
• U.S. media, race, and democracy

• Studies of race as a social construct; the language of race; race
identity; race politics and the legacy of racial violence, including
lynching, racial massacres and genocide, especially as viewed through such
lenses as contemporary media theory, deep data sets, visual media, graphic
data, or sociology

Candidates should have a PhD in journalism, communications, political
science, history or a relevant field in the social sciences by August 2021
but ABD candidates will be considered.

The University of Maryland, College Park, an equal opportunity/affirmative
action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws and
regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action; all
qualified applicants will receive consideration. The UMD is committed to a
policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on
the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or
mental disability, protected veteran status, age, gender identity or
expression, sexual orientation, creed, marital status, political
affiliation, personal appearance, or on the basis of rights secured by the
First Amendment, in all aspects of employment, educational activities, and
admissions.

The University of Maryland, College Park is the state’s flagship
institution and is minutes away from Washington, D.C., and the nexus of the
nation’s legislative, executive, and judicial centers of power, giving
proximity to business and technology leaders, federal departments and
agencies, and research entities, embassies, think tanks, cultural centers,
and non-profits. The University is committed to attracting and retaining
outstanding and diverse faculty and staff that will enhance preeminence in
our teaching, scholarship, and full engagement in our community, the state
of Maryland, and in the world.

For best consideration, please apply by 02/05/2021. Search chair Sarah
Oates is happy to answer questions at soates at umd.edu

To apply, please go to https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/80394

Sarah Oates
Pronoun: she/her