[Air-L] Textbook suggestions on internet-based social science

Tess Baxter research at tessbaxter.com
Thu Dec 17 05:11:47 PST 2020

I'd endorse this choice of Digital Sociologies, and add Digital
Anthropology by Horst and Miller - the two together are really strong.

Tess

On 17/12/2020 12:54, Justin Ho wrote:
> Dear Rense,
>
> I would suggest Digital Sociologies, edited by Jessie Daniels, Karen Gregory and Tressie McMillan Cottom (https://policy.bristoluniversitypress.co.uk/digital-sociologies). It contains a lot of case studies of digital phenomena from a sociology perspective. Hope this helps!
>
> Best regards,
> Justin
>
> On Thu, 17 Dec 2020 at 12:20, William Dutton <william.dutton at gmail.com<mailto:william.dutton at gmail.com>> wrote:
> This email was sent to you by someone outside the University.
> You should only click on links or attachments if you are certain that the email is genuine and the content is safe.
>
> Rense
>
> I hesitate to suggest my own work, but only the editor of:
>
> Graham, M., and Dutton, W. H. (2019) (eds), Society and the Internet: How Networks of Information and Communication are Changing our Lives, 2nd Edition. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
>
> It is not focused on methodology, but nearly every chapter provides an example of different methods applied to a wide range of questions. The table of contents is at: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/society-and-the-internet-9780198843504?cc=gb&lang=en&#
>
> Good luck with your course,
>
> Bill
>
> William H. Dutton
> 55 Victoria Road
> Oxford OX2 7QF
> United Kingdom
>
> william.dutton at gmail.com<mailto:william.dutton at gmail.com>
> Twitter @BiIIDutton (II=two capital ii’s)
>
> Phone: +44 (0)1865 423836
> Mobile: +44 (0)7757 741670
>
> Blog: https://billdutton.me
>

>> On 17 Dec 2020, at 10:56, Corten, R. (Rense) <R.Corten at uu.nl<mailto:R.Corten at uu.nl>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> For my course “Internet, social media and networks” in our sociology master program, I’ve been using Rober Ackland’s excellent “Web Social Science” from 2013 for years. Although I really like this book, it feels increasingly outdated, given the fast-moving nature of the topic and the field. So I’m looking for suggestions for a replacement. The ideal textbook would, like WSS, contain a mix of theoretical and methodological tools for research in digital contexts, with plenty of examples of recent research with an emphasis on the quantitative tradition in social science, and all with applications to relevant and interesting social science (preferably sociological) problems. I find that in particular the combination of tools (such as data collection on the internet and SNA) and discussion of substantive problems is actually quite rare in textbooks (e.g., Bit by bit by Salganik is great on tools but does not teach much substantively about “sociology of the internet”). So, any suggestions are welcome!
>>
>> Best, Rense

> [...]
*Tess Baxter
Visual artist and printmaker, writer and photographer*
Tizzy Canucci in virtual worlds
PhD researcher at Lancaster University
www.tessbaxter.com <https://www.tessbaxter.com/> | tizzycanucci.com
<https://tizzycanucci.com/>