[Air-L] CfP: Outlaw innovation and the invention of the outlaw (EASST panel D04)

Scott MacLeod helianth at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 11:44:55 PST 2020

Hi Maxigas and AoIR,

With regard to the mention of Tor in this thread, and [Air-L], this email
just got rejected from the Tor email list:

Tor project people,

This just emerged on Twitter from the MIT Tech Review:

The FBI found Eric Marques by breaking the famed anonymity service Tor, and
officials won’t reveal the vulnerability they used. That has activists and
lawyers concerned.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/615163/a-dark-web-tycoon-pleads-guilty-but-how-was-he-caught/

https://twitter.com/techreview/status/1226212530856611840?s=20

What do you think?

Re-Tweeted this here - https://twitter.com/WorldUnivAndSch .

The 'Security' wiki subject at World Univ & Sch is planned as wiki-schools
in all ~200 countries' official languages -
https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Security - with MIT OCW
courses for credit for free-to-students' online degrees (licensing and
accrediting) eventually (
https://wiki.worlduniversityandschool.org/wiki/Subjects). World Univ & Sch
is like Wikipedia in ~300 languages with MIT OCW in 4 languages.

Scott
https://twitter.com/scottmacleod
Languages-World Univ: https://twitter.com/sgkmacleod

On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 6:19 PM maxigas <maxigas at anargeek.net> wrote:

> CfP: Outlaw innovation and the invention of the outlaw
> EASST 2018, 25-28th July 2018, Lancaster University, UK
> Convenors: Johan Söderberg (Göteborg University) & Maxigas (Lancaster
> University)
>
> Deadline for submissions: February 14th 2018.
>
> Submit abstracts and contact the conveners at:
> https://nomadit.co.uk/easst/easst2018/conferencesuite.php/panels/6286
>
> We would like to invite you to submit abstracts to our panel at EASST 2018
>
> The panel investigates innovation processes driven by antagonistic
> relations between actors
> on both sides of the law. We invite case studies of how mutual hostilities
> between actors are
> pursued through technological change, whereby each actor seeks to gain an
> edge against their
> adversary. Three empirical fields that exemplify this dynamic are the
> surge of legal highs,
> information security and crypto-currencies. More examples of the same
> thing can be found in
> other fields of empirical investigation and suit this panel. What we will
> examine under the
> label of "outlaw innovation" is how conflict breeds innovation. Related to
> this is an
> awareness of the tenuous relation between legislation and innovation. The
> "outlaw" is just
> another word for an innovator. Concurrently, however, capitalism strives
> relentlessly to
> subsume and integrate its own outside, turning this unknown into
> innovation and new markets.
> From this observation follows that the purported outsider position
> ascribed to various
> grassroots innovators, users, etc., must be scrutinized. States, capital
> and academic actors
> work in conjunction with these outlawed/independent researchers to produce
> a shared language
> of common concerns around risks and opportunities inherent in
> technological innovation, such
> as in the Tor project. The legal grey zone thus emerges as an incubator of
> innovation for
> legal businesses. We encourage paper submissions utilizing diverse
> theoretical approaches and
> a wide range of case studies to explore the concept of the "outlaw
> innovator".
>
> --
> Maxigas, kiberpunk
> FA00 8129 13E9 2617 C614 0901 7879 63BC 287E D166
> Lecturer in Critical Digital Media Practice
> Center for Science Studies
> Department of Sociology
> Lancaster University
>
> https://relay70.metatron.ai/
>
> Go, go, go, said the bird: human kind
> Cannot bear very much reality.
> ~ Yeats: Burnt Norton

- Scott MacLeod - Founder & President

- World University and School
- http://worlduniversityandschool.org

- 415 480 4577
- http://scottmacleod.com

- CC World University and School - like CC Wikipedia with best STEM-centric
CC OpenCourseWare - incorporated as a nonprofit university and school in
California, and is a U.S. 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt educational organization.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This transmission and any attachments are intended only
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed and may
contain information that is privileged, confidential, or exempt from
disclosure under applicable federal or state laws.  If the reader of this
transmission is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that
any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify me immediately by email or telephone.

World University and School is sending you this because of your interest in
free, online, higher education. If you don't want to receive these, please
reply with 'unsubscribe' in the body of the email, leaving the subject line
intact. Thank you.