[Air-L] Empirical data on facial recognition technology and

Chris Foster cgfoster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 04:26:39 PST 2020

Hi Matt,

In the UK, as part of the two largest police trials of AFR systems, both
commissioned independent reports from academics - links to the pdf's below
for Cardiff and London Met Police.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/57875c16197aea2902e3820e/t/5bdafb4403ce64828d6fbc04/1541077838619/AFR+Report+%5BDigital%5D.pdf
https://48ba3m4eh2bf2sksp43rq8kk-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/London-Met-Police-Trial-of-Facial-Recognition-Tech-Report.pdf

Both reports highlight challenges based on the trials, particularly that
the AFR vendor appears to be overclaiming the accuracy of systems

Cheers
Chris

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 1:01 AM Matt Seraph <hexathelidae at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I'm writing a FAQ on facial recognition technology, and would like to
> address the question of the real utility of the currently available
> technology in solving crimes for law enforcement.
>
> I see lots of anecdotal evidence about it helping make arrests, but haven't
> seen anything more quantitative.
>
> We may just be too early on, but has anyone seen a study address this?
>
> Thank you.

Christopher Foster
PGP: http://pgp.mit.edu/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x06D36521A70B1DFF