[Air-L] 1/24 Live Stream: ESC PLAN: The Future of Ethics, Society, and Computing (ESC) with Angwin, boyd, Brock, DaCosta, Gennai, Okonkwo, Parthasarathy, Price, ...

Christian Sandvig csandvig at umich.edu
Sat Jan 11 08:45:39 PST 2020

Dear AIR Colleagues,

I'm very excited about the ESC "official" opening event in just two weeks.
This is a half-day event. We will be live-streaming and taking real-time
questions from Internet participants. I wanted to share this with you so
that you can mark your calendars -- note that no RSVP is needed for
off-site participation.  Feel free to forward as appropriate.

I bet we have some speakers here who are familiar to AIR-L -- and even may
be on this mailing list (hi!). I expect some great conversations.
Highlights: danah boyd is principal researcher at Microsoft Research and
the founder of Data & Society. Jen Gennai is in charge of responsible
innovation at Google, and heads the implementation of Google's AI
principles. Julia Angwin is a Pulitzer-winning journalist currently
launching a philanthropically-funded publication dedicated to investigating
big tech (The Markup). André Brock's new book *Distributed Blackness* is
available in just a couple of weeks. Shobita Parthasarathy is the author of
the award-winning book *Patent Politics* and is behind "The Recevied
Wisdom" podcast. And more...

I hope you can join us,
Christian

---------------------

*ESC PLAN: The ESC Opening Event*
A half-day public event to inaugurate the Center for Ethics, Society, and
Computing.

DATE / TIME / LOCATION
*Friday, January 24, 2020*
1:00 pm to 7:30 pm Eastern Standard Time (UTC/GMT-5).
Space 2435, North Quadrangle, 105 South State Street, Ann Arbor, MI
48109 (Off-site
reception to follow.)

*FOR REMOTE PARTICIPANTS*: Video from this talk will be streamed live at
http://esc.umich.edu/plan  Questions will be taken from the Internet.

An RSVP is requested for in-person participants only. RSVP form:
https://forms.gle/f1DhfD8Cirkt6CZx9

*SCHEDULE*

1:00 p.m. – 1:15 p.m. ET
*Toward Ethics, Society, and Computing* (ESC)
(Opening Remarks.)

1:15 p.m. – 2:45 p.m. ET
PANEL:

*Accountable Technology — An Oxymoron?*

   - Julia Angwin <https://juliaangwin.com/>, The Markup
   - danah boyd <https://www.danah.org/>, Data & Society
   - Marc DaCosta <https://marcdacosta.com/>, Enigma
   - Jen Gennai
   <https://events.google.com/io/schedule/events/speakers/f834530d-4b63-42d4-ab3f-370beb928bbd>,
   Google
   - Christian Sandvig <http://www-personal.umich.edu/~csandvig/>,
   University of Michigan (moderator)

3:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. ET
PANEL: *Culture After Tech Culture — Unimaginable?*

   - André Brock <https://www.lmc.gatech.edu/people/person/andre-brock>,
   Georgia Tech
   - Silvia Lindtner <http://www.silvialindtner.com/>, University of
   Michigan (moderator)
   - Holly Okonkwo
   <https://www.cla.purdue.edu/facultystaff/profiles/new/newfaculty-18/Okonkwo_Holly.html>,
   Purdue University
   - Monroe Price <https://www.asc.upenn.edu/people/faculty/monroe-price-jd>,
   University of Pennsylvania
   - Shobita Parthasarathy <http://shobitap.org/>, University of Michigan

4:45 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET
*The Future of Ethics, Society, and Computing (ESC)*
(Closing Remarks.)

5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. ET
Off-Site Reception and Mixer

An RSVP is requested for in-person participants. RSVP form:
https://forms.gle/f1DhfD8Cirkt6CZx9

More information is on the event details page on the Web:
http://esc.umich.edu/event/esc-plan-the-esc-opening-event/
A printable PDF poster for this event: http://esc.umich.edu/ESC_PLAN.pdf

--------

This event is the opening of ESC: The Center for Ethics, Society, and
Computing.
http://esc.umich.edu/

ESC is generously supported by the School of Information; the Center for
Political Studies at the Institute for Social Research; and the Department
of Communication & Media in the College of Literature, Science, and the
Arts at the University of Michigan.