[Air-L] New Book: Furious: Technological Feminism and Digital Futures, Caroline Bassett, Sarah Kember and Kate O'Riordan

Tim Jordan T.R.Jordan at sussex.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 02:42:30 PST 2020

I'm very happy to let you know about the publication of a new book in the Pluto Press Digital Barricades series.

Jointly authored by Caroline Bassett, Sarah Kember and Kate O'Riordan Furious takes a feminist lens to look at digital analysis and the digital world. https://www.plutobooks.com/9780745340500/furious/

"As digital transformations continue to accelerate in the world, discourses of big data have come to dominate in a number of fields, from politics and economics, to media and education. But how can we really understand the digital world when so much of the writing through which we grapple with it remains deeply problematic?

In a compelling new work of feminist critical theory, Bassett, Kember and O'Riordan scrutinise many of the assumptions of a masculinist digital world, highlighting the tendency of digital humanities scholarship to venerate and essentialise technical forms, and to adopt gendered writing and citation practices. Contesting these writings, practices and politics, the authors foreground feminist traditions and contributions to the field, offering alternative modes of knowledge production, and a radically different, poetic writing style.

Through this prism, Furious brings into focus themes including the automation of home and domestic work, the Anthropocene, and intersectional feminist technofutures."

This is a great addition to our book series with the series editors being myself, Jodi Dean, Joss Hands and David Castle. We're proud of the way the series has developed and contributed to critical thinking about the internet and digital world with authors like Nick Dyer-Witheford, Donatella Della Ratta, Paolo Gerbaudo and more please check it out at: https://www.plutobooks.com/pluto-series/digital-barricades-interventions-in-digital-culture-and-politics/

Best to all and happy lunar new year, Tim

Tim Jordan,
Professor of Digital Cultures,
School of Media, Film and Music,
University of Sussex.