[Air-L] (Our) Nice New Paper Out on Scholarly/Organizational Networks: Productivity and Influence

Barry Wellman wellman at chass.utoronto.ca
Sat Jan 25 13:53:45 PST 2020

and if you can't get it elsewhere, we have some free copies to give out:

The differential impact of network connectedness and size on
researchers~R productivity and influence
Tsahi Hayat, Dimitrina Dimitrova &Barry Wellman
Information, Communication, & Society, 23, 5
https://doi.org/10.1080/1369118X.2020.1713844

ABSTRACT
We analyze the effect of different types of online and offline ties -
acquaintanceship, advice, and co-authorship - on researchers'
productivity and influence. Unlike static studies of networked work, we
look at how changes in these networks affected researchers' performance
and influence. Using the number of publications as an indicator of
productivity and the number
of citations as an indicator of influence, we investigate when
researchers were more productive and influential. We study whether their
networks were cohesive, if the researchers were central in their
networks or linked to central players, and whether their
work had more opportunities to be disseminated through diverse,
non-redundant ties. Although the connectedness of their networks was
positively associated with the researchers' productivity, it was the
non-redundant effective size of the networks that was
positively associated with the researchers' influence.

KEYWORDS: Networked work, research network, closure, effective size

   Barry Wellman

--

Barry Wellman, FRSC               Director, NetLab Network
Founder, International Network for Social Network Analysis

Kyle Lowry is My Spirit Animal
Step by step, link by link, putting it together--Streisand/Sondheim
The earth to be spannd, connected by network--Walt Whitman
It's Always Something--Roseanne Roseannadanna
A day like all days, filled with those events that alter and illuminate our times--You Are There!

NETWORKED: The New Social Operating System  Lee Rainie & Barry Wellman http://amzn.to/zXZg39
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Wellman