[Air-L] four new climate change news coverage datasets: online news and television

kalev leetaru kalev.leetaru5 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 07:21:17 PST 2020

For those interested in exploring how climate change has been covered
online and on television, we have just released four new open datasets
relating to global news coverage of climate change over the past decade.

The first covers all 95,000 mentions of climate change on CNN, MSNBC and
Fox News 2009-2020 and BBC News London 2017-2020, including 15 second
snippets around each mention and URLs to view the full clips in the
Internet Archive's Television News Archive:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/a-new-dataset-for-exploring-climate-change-narratives-on-television-news-2009-2020/

For the period 2016-2020, we have a dataset of around 6 million
dependency-labeled linguistic annotations of climate change mentions in
English language online news coverage, including a rich array of features
computed by Google's NLP API:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/a-new-part-of-speech-dataset-to-explore-climate-change-narratives-in-english-online-news-2016-2020/

For the period 2015-2020 we've compiled a list of around 4.1 million URLs
of online news coverage in 63 languages discussing climate change:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/a-new-multilingual-dataset-for-exploring-climate-change-narratives-4-1-million-news-urls-in-63-languages-2015-2020/

And for English language online coverage, we've compiled 6.3 million URLs
2015-2020, including 200 character snippets showing the first mention of
climate change in each article:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/a-new-contextual-dataset-for-exploring-climate-change-narratives-6-3m-english-news-urls-with-contextual-snippets-2015-2020/

More detail on the four datasets:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/four-massive-datasets-charting-the-global-climate-change-news-narrative-2009-2020/

Examples of using them for Q&A and "contested narrative" analysis:

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/using-cloud-natural-language-the-climate-change-narratives-dataset-for-qa-about-climate-change/

https://blog.gdeltproject.org/identifying-contradictory-climate-change-narratives-using-cloud-natural-language-the-climate-change-narratives-dataset/

Email me with any questions!

Kalev