[Air-L] Digital Sociology seminar series launch

Harry Dyer (EDU - Staff) Harry.T.Dyer at uea.ac.uk
Mon Jul 6 04:44:33 PDT 2020

We would like to alert subscribers to the roll out of an ongoing series of discussions hosted by the British Sociological Association's Digital Sociology Study Group.

Starting from July 15th 2020, The Digital Sociology Study Group will be hosting monthly discussions, workshops, and book launches with academics, researchers, authors, practitioners, and activists exploring a range of issues around digital sociology. These will be hosted online and available to all who wish to take part.

The first session, taking place 13:00 - 13:45 on July 15th, will be a book-launch for ‘Designing the Social: Unpacking Social Media Design and Identity’<https://link.springer.com/book/10.1007/978-981-15-5716-3> written by Harry Dyer, a member of the Digital Sociology Study Group and a Lecturer in Education at the University of East Anglia. This will be a 20 minute introduction to the book from Harry, followed by a Q+A. Attendees will be able to purchase the book for a 20% discount from Springer.com using the code mE7nGdz4Kyd9TNn (valid Jul 15, 2020 – Aug 12, 2020).

We would like to use this launch as a space to also hear from attendees about what you would like to see from these monthly discussions moving forward, so please do come with suggestions and ideas for the group going forward. We hope to make this a useful and accessible series for all levels.

The event will be hosted using Jitsi, a secure, free open-source video-hosting alternative to Zoom with end-to-end encryption. To access the discussion, simply visit meet.jit.si/DigitalSociology<https://meet.jit.si/DigitalSociology>. We will be muting cameras and microphones upon arrival. To talk and contribute, simply unmute yourself.

We look forward to seeing and talking to you all, and hope this monthly will be a useful resource moving forward, especially at a time where face-to-face meeting is restricted.

All the best,

British Sociological Association Digital Sociology Study Group