[Air-L] Doing qualitative research which addresses inequalities in times of social distancing

Helen Kennedy h.kennedy at sheffield.ac.uk
Thu Jul 9 01:06:07 PDT 2020

Hello all

Many of us are currently facing challenges as we seek to carry out
qualitative research which addresses inequalities under socially distanced
conditions. Lots of people are thinking creatively about how to overcome
these challenges, and we’re aware of a number of events, webinars and
discussions on this topic that have taken place.

We are gathering together resources on this topic (including recordings of
webinars, if available), which we will share publicly on our Living With
Data <https://livingwithdata.org/> project website in August. We will
include general resources about doing qualitative research in socially
distant times (such as Doing fieldwork in a pandemic
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1clGjGABB2h2qbduTgfqribHmog9B6P0NvMgVuiHZCl8/edit?ts=5e88ae0a>),
but we are especially interested in resources relating to inequalities
research, covering, for example, researching with marginalised, minoritised
or hard-to-reach groups and communities, or facilitating qualitative
research with diverse groups (including diversity in groups, eg in relation
to race, class, culture, language, lived experience, politics,
accessibility).

Please can you share resources with us by emailing Elisa Serafinelli (
e.serafinelli at sheffield.ac.uk Research Associate @ the University of
Sheffield). We will then collate and share them.

Best wishes

Elisa Serafinelli & Helen Kennedy

(Digital Society Network
<https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/social-sciences/research/digital-society> & Living
With Data <https://livingwithdata.org/> @ University of Sheffield)

--
Helen Kennedy, Professor of Digital Society, @hmtk, Living With Data
<https://livingwithdata.org/>

*RECENT PUBLICATIONS: *
Public perceptions of good data management: findings from a UK-based survey
<https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/2053951720935616>, *Big Data
and Society* (June 2020, w/Todd Hartman, Robin Steedman & Rhia Jones)
*Public Understanding and Perceptions of Data Practices: a review of
existing research
<https://livingwithdata.org/current-research/publications/>* (May 2020, w/
Susan Oman, Mark Taylor, Jo Bates, Robin Steedman)

*Data Visualization in Society
<https://www.aup.nl/en/book/9789463722902/data-visualization-in-society>*
(April
2020, ed w/ Martin Engebretesen, Open Access with Amsterdam University
Press)

Complex ecologies of trust in data practices and data-driven systems
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1369118X.2020.1748090>,
*Information,
Communication & Society* (April 2020, w/Robin Steedman & Rhia Jones)
Approaching public perceptions of datafication through the lens of
inequality: a case study in public service media
<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/1369118X.2020.1736122>,
*Information,
Communication & Society *(March 2020, w/Robin Steedman & Rhia Jones)