[Air-L] Recording phone interviews

Zach Bastick zach.bastick at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 03:10:31 PDT 2020

Hi everyone,

Given these times of social distancing, a colleague and I are conducting
interviews by telephone. We are looking for solutions to record the
interviews locally (so that we can transcribe them), but also maintain the
privacy of the interviewees. We have considered various options (from
conducting the interview over loudspeaker with a recorder next to it, to
using Google Voice, to using subscription services). We have decided
against services that ‘join’ the call as a conference call participant and
send you the recording because we would like to maintain full control over
the recorded data (again, for ethical reasons). So, we were wondering what
the experience of the community here has been. Are there any recent and
reliable tools that people here are using? What have you found to work well?

Thanks!

Zach

Dr. Zach Bastick
Postdoctoral Researcher in Political Science
European School of Political Science, France