[Air-L] Recording phone interviews

Karin Assmann kassmann at terpmail.umd.edu
Fri Jul 17 05:00:28 PDT 2020

Hi Zach,
Not sure if this satisfies your need for privacy, but I‘ve used the Skype add-on Ecamm Recorder. It‘s about $30 for a perpetual license and works with Skype and FaceTime.
I keep a $10 credit on Skype and make the (very inexpensive) call from Skype to any phone (landline or cell). The recorder pops up automatically and I press record after I get consent etc. A file is created locally that can be converted into whatever format you need (mp3, wav ...).
Works the same way with Facetime calls. You do have to make the calls from your computer since this tool does not exist as a phone app.
The quality is excellent or rather, as good as the phone connection, but that‘s the case no matter how you do it.
Hope this helps, good luck.
Karin

--
Karin Assmann, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Department of Journalism

120 Hooper St.
Athens, GA 30602
kba at uga.edu
c: 202-697-1844