[Air-L] Recording phone interviews

Dr. Emma Briant teflpolsoc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 17:27:55 PDT 2020

Hi there all,
I responded with some tips privately already but I just wanted to add that
with transcription, there are lots of ways you can do this but I’d
recommend considering the sensitivity of the particular subject/whether
it’s a high profile individual. This might not be relevant for all but some
should consider. With my often sensitive research I do transcription in two
ways 1) I hire research assistants, individuals I do not advertise for as
this would attract influencers and intel companies -I personally carefully
vet the assistant - for the most sensitive interviews - this is labour
intensive and expensive but important. Less sensitive interviews I use
Rev.com which is probably the best and most secure ordinary transcription
service I’ve found. Auto transcription I am concerned about often it
harvests data and is not secure, it also isn’t often good and you need to
go through it correcting everything extensively anyway.
Best wishes,
Emma

On Fri, 17 Jul 2020 at 20:18, Sarah Ann Oates <soates at umd.edu> wrote:

> Hi, if you set it up in advance in the settings, Zoom will record your
> session AND transcribe it. I did this for accessibility in my Zoom sessions
> last semester. The transcription is pretty good, but will need light
> editing. You may need an upgrade from free Zoom to get this but I think
> probably worth it. I am not sure where you'll be recording but be aware in
> some parts of the US (probably elsewhere as well) you need both parties in
> the recording to affirm that they agree to be recorded. No doubt that is
> part of your informed consent, etc., but just throwing it out there because
> a lot of people are unaware of that law in some states (such as Maryland)
> in the US. Good luck with the project! Sarah
>

> Sarah Oates
>
> Professor and Senior Scholar
> Philip Merrill College of Journalism
> University of Maryland
> College Park, MD 20457
> Email: soates at umd.edu
> Phone: 301 455 2332
> www.media-politics.com
> Twitter: @media_politics
>
> *Support the UMD Student Crisis Fund
> <https://giving.umd.edu/giving/showPage.php?name=crisis-funding> today. *
>

> On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 6:11 AM Zach Bastick <zach.bastick at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Given these times of social distancing, a colleague and I are conducting
> > interviews by telephone. We are looking for solutions to record the
> > interviews locally (so that we can transcribe them), but also maintain
> the
> > privacy of the interviewees. We have considered various options (from
> > conducting the interview over loudspeaker with a recorder next to it, to
> > using Google Voice, to using subscription services). We have decided
> > against services that ‘join’ the call as a conference call participant
> and
> > send you the recording because we would like to maintain full control
> over
> > the recorded data (again, for ethical reasons). So, we were wondering
> what
> > the experience of the community here has been. Are there any recent and
> > reliable tools that people here are using? What have you found to work
> > well?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Zach
> >
> > Dr. Zach Bastick
> > Postdoctoral Researcher in Political Science
> > European School of Political Science, France

> > http://www.aoir.org/

Dr Emma L Briant
Independent Researcher/Author/Analyst
Associate Researcher at Human Rights Program
Bard College,
Annandale on Hudson
New York

Website: www.emma-briant.co.uk
Author of: *Propaganda and Counter-Terrorism: Strategies for Global
Change *from
Manchester University Press
Co-Author of: *Bad News for Refugees* with Prof. Greg Philo and Dr. Pauline
Donald from Pluto Press.
Follow me on Twitter @emmalbriant