[Air-L] non-Zoom platforms....again

Alexandre Hocquet alexandre.hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
Wed Jul 29 16:41:38 PDT 2020

Dear AoIRers,

long time lurker, first time poster*. A recent inquiry to the list
asking for non-Zoom platforms gave me the idea to ask advice here
regarding a project for an opinion piece I have about the recent taking
over of online conferencing by Zoom (and Microsoft Teams)  in Academia.

My point is that the Covid crisis has led (in France at least, and I'm
willing to have the opinion about academics in other countries) to the
complete outsourcing to those two corporate platforms for online
teaching (and scholarly conferencing), which means

1) the renouncement to a once functional dedicated national
infrastructure (namely, in France, the use of free software Jitsi within
the state-sponsored "Renater" academic infrastructure)

2) the surrendering of Academia to corporations well known to abuse the
extraction and commodification of data (Zoom) and well known to
"embrace, extend and extinguish" anything within their reach (Microsoft)

My point is that it is completely contradictory to a supposed general
institutional trend towards "open science", and that open software is
often  forgotten besides open litterature and open data, and that the
pandemic has accelerated the disintegration of an academic national and
open infrastructure.

So my questions are :

1) Is anybody aware of an already existing piece expressing that concerns ?

2) Is anybody willing to share what is the situation in their country
regarding this issue ?

Best,

* for a little background and as a newcomer presentation, I am a
historian of science and my area is the issue of openness within
scientific modelling software .

Alexandre Hocquet
Archives Henri Poincaré & Science History Institute
Alexandre.Hocquet at univ-lorraine.fr
https://www.sciencehistory.org/profile/alexandre-hocquet
https://poincare.univ-lorraine.fr/fr/membre-titulaire/alexandre-hocquet