[Air-L] Seminar Tomorrow on Media Policy in a Time of Crisis

Eleanor Marchant eleanor.marchant at csls.ox.ac.uk
Tue Jun 2 03:41:57 PDT 2020

Here at the Programme in Comparative Media Law & Policy at Oxford we'll be hosting the wonderful Victor Pickard tomorrow to talk about the very relevant subject of Media Policy in a Time of Crisis.

16:30 British Summer Time, Wednesday June 3, 2020

Abstract:

News media industries—particularly newspapers—are facing an existential threat. Dramatic shifts in digital economics, especially the collapse of commercial journalism’s advertising revenue, have devastated local journalism in recent years. The pandemic has accelerated this structural crisis and democratic societies across the globe are scrambling to save journalism before it is too late. My talk will draw from my recent book Democracy without Journalism? to discuss potential policy interventions to not only salvage–but also reinvent–our news media system. Ultimately this crisis is an opportunity to reimagine what journalism could and should be.

Follow this link for more information about the talk, the seminar series as a whole, and details about how to join the live discussion: https://pcmlp.socleg.ox.ac.uk/global-media-policy-seminar-series-victor-pickard-on-media-policy-in-a-time-of-crisis/<https://socleg.us19.list-manage.com/track/click?u=871c2ede03be24ba1090db0e2&id=9a34704d2d&e=c3bf0d4fd5>

Take care everyone!
Eleanor

ELEANOR R MARCHANT PHD

ConflictNET<https://www.law.ox.ac.uk/research-and-subject-groups/politics-and-practice-social-media-conflict-conflictnet> Postdoctoral Fellow

Programme in Comparative Media Law & Policy

Centre for Socio-Legal Studies

University of Oxford

Tw: @ermarchant<https://twitter.com/ermarchant> | www.eleanormarchant.me<http://www.eleanormarchant.me>