[Air-L] A good way to respond to a query from a student about activism?

Natalie Rock drnatalierock at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 10:03:46 PDT 2020

I also don’t have the answers but wanted to share a free webinar link for academics who are struggling with these questions too.

I pray you are well in these difficult times.

Communities across the United States are in deep pain. Collectively as well as individually, we are grappling with the deleterious impact of racism and how we can move forward together as contributors to a better and more inclusive world.

Many of you have reached out for support as you manage the impact of two different, but interconnected, public health crises: the COVID-19 pandemic and the pain of systemic racism brought to a head by the recent death of George Floyd.

In response to the pandemic, we’ve hosted seven different online learning events since March 2020 and released the free COVID-19 DEI Crisis Action Strategy Guide and other related tools.

Now we bring you a new, no-cost webinar about campus policing and activism:
Race Relations, Student Activism, and Community Policing
on College & University Campuses
July 9, 4-6 pm EST
Join us for a national dialogue on community policing, race, campus climate, and student activism in the academy. The webinar will feature a panel of committed scholars and leaders that bring a depth of knowledge on systemic racism, policing, and are all deeply committed to achieving inclusive excellence in the academy.
Register Here

Damon A. Williams, Ph.D.
Chief Catalyst
Center for Strategic Diversity Leadership
and Social Innovation
Former Senior Vice President for Program,
Training & Youth Development Services,
Boys & Girls Clubs of America, National Headquarters
Former Associate Vice Chancellor, Vice Provost & CDO, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Author of Strategic Diversity Leadership: Activating
Change and Transformation In Higher Education
and coauthor of The Chief Diversity Officer Strategy,
Structure, and Change Management

Sue Riseling
Founder
The Riseling Group
Former Executive Director, International Association
of Campus Law
Enforcement Administrators
First Woman & University
Police Chief President
of the Wisconsin Chiefs
Police Association
Former Campus Police Chief,
University of Wisconsin-Madison

Karol Mason, J.D.
President
John Jay College
of Criminal Justice
Former US Assistant
Attorney General
Head of the
Department of Justice’s
Office of Justice Programs
during the Obama Administration

Frank H. Wu, J.D.
President-designee
Queens College City University of New York
First Asian American to serve as dean of
Wayne State University Law School
William L. Prosser Distinguished Professor at
UC Hastings; previously Chancellor & Dean
Former Law Professor, Howard University
Author of Yellow: Race in America Beyond Black and
White; coauthor of Race, Rights & Reparation: Law
and the Japanese American Internment

To offer these urgently needed programs, we have made the difficult decision to postpone the third cohort of our annual five-week online National Inclusive Excellence Leadership Academy (NIXLA) summer program.

Instead, the NIXLA Accelerator Series will provide practical guidance, evidence-based strategies and tips to support your DEI strategies and fall planning efforts.

The NIXLA Accelerator Series launches in July with this free webinar and will feature other timely educational talks from nationally respected keynote speakers and scholars. You can participate in the series as either an individual learner or with an institutional team. Be on the look out for more emails about the NIXLA Accelerator Series topics (such as our deep dive into allyship) in the next few days.

We look forward to your participating in this important national conversation on July 9, and we hope you consider joining our growing community of NIXLA Fellows as we all work together to build equitable, inclusive communities in this new normal.

In Service—
Damon A. Williams, Ph.D.
Chief Catalyst, National Inclusive Excellence Leadership Academy (NIXLA)
Download the Free COVID-19 DEI Crisis Action Strategy Guide

Center for Strategic Diversity Leadership & Social Innovation
4780 Ashford Dunwoody Rd
Suite A540 #130
Atlanta, GA 30338
Unsubscribe drnataliesappleton at gmail.com