[Air-L] A good way to respond to a query from a student about activism?

Marianne Gunderson marianne.gunderson at uib.no
Sun Jun 7 01:41:01 PDT 2020

Dear Prof. Sarah Oates and others

This may not be one of the deeper contributions, but since your student was
asking for resources on "the potential to leverage social media for
positive social change beyond likes and retweets", maybe some of the
various discord servers dedicated to Black Lives Matter could be relevant?
I have the impression that these platforms are increasingly being used for
mobilizing, organizing, and coordinating activism and other direct action
often kept off public platforms like Twitter. I haven't personally explored
the ecosystem of activist discords, but here is an overview over servers
tagged with #blacklivesmatter, maybe some of them could be relevant for
your student?

(NB. A few of the servers seem to be using the tag in bad faith, but it's
fairly obvious which ones are not.)

https://disboard.org/servers/tag/blacklivesmatter
https://disboard.org/servers/tag/black-lives-matter

Hope this is useful!

Best regards,
Marianne Gunderson
--
Ph.D candidate in Digital Culture with The Machine Vision Project
<https://www.uib.no/en/machinevision>