[Air-L] some useful resources for researchers from the VOX-POL project

Marco Schneider art68schneider at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 07:16:12 PDT 2020

Dear all,

for those who can read in Portuguese, follow the links of two books,
recently available for free in PDF.

*iKritika: critical studies on information*

Authors: Arthur Bezerra, Marco Schneider, Ricardo Pimenta and Gustavo
Saldanha.

https://www.garamond.com.br/loja/ikritika

According to Rafael Capurro: "This book brings together contributions to a
critical theory of information from the last 50 years, relating it to its
history since the 19th century and its roots in modernity, within a broad
structure that encompasses theories and authors such as Aristotle, Kant ,
Hegel, Marx, Lukács, Frankfurt School, Bourdieu, Foucault, Žižek, as well
as the classics of librarianship and information and communication. The
guiding thread of these texts is social and critical thinking, that is, the
thinking of information theory as inseparable from an interpretation and
practice of social, economic and political processes [...] in the face of
the structural transformations of oppression, control, surveillance and
discrimination that have emerged since the middle of the 20th century in
relation to digital technologies ".

*Dialectic of taste: information, music, politics*

Author: Marco Schneider.

http://editoracircuito.com.br/website/a-dialetica-do-gosto-informacao-musica-e-politica-marco-schneider/

Its central argument is: whether taste is an expression and measure of the
use value of material and symbolic goods and, at the same time, the
sensitive substrate of ideologies, and whether information is the main
agent responsible for shaping tastes in contemporary societies therefore,
information has a deeper aesthetic and ethical-political dimension than
previously thought, as it would act not only on the texture of the notions
and values that guide the practice of the subjects, as it is known, but
also on the composition and governance of sympathies and dislikes,
affections and discontent, fascination, aversion and indifference, of
tastes, in short, underlying these notions, values and practices, and that
is why perhaps their role is politically decisive.

Once again in the words of Rafael Capurro: "when we talk and think about
tastes and cultures in the digital age in the future, we must not ignore
this book, which is related to what I call intercultural information
ethics".

Have a good reading,

Best regards,

Marco Schneider

Full Researcher: Brazilian Institute of Information in Science and
Technology (Ibict)
Associate Professor: Universidade Federal Fluminense (UFF)

P.S. If anyone gets interested in producing an English version of one or
both books, which I would certainly appreciate, we can talk privately.