[Air-L] New Book: Incorporating the Digital Commons

Andrew Herman aherman at wlu.ca
Sun Mar 1 04:20:14 PST 2020

Congratulations, Ben!
________________________________
From: Air-L <air-l-bounces at listserv.aoir.org> on behalf of Benjamin Birkinbine <bbirkinbine at unr.edu>
Sent: Saturday, February 29, 2020 1:57 AM
To: air-l at listserv.aoir.org <air-l at listserv.aoir.org>
Subject: [Air-L] New Book: Incorporating the Digital Commons

(Apologies for Cross-Posting)

Hello everyone,

AoIR members may be interested in my new book, "Incorporating the Digital Commons: Corporate Involvement in Free and Open Source Software" (University of Westminster Press, 2020).

In the book, I draw from a critical political economic framework to investigate the intersection of the digital commons and digital capitalism.  I use three case studies (Microsoft's history with FLOSS communities, Red Hat's relationship with the Fedora Project, and Oracle's acquisition of Sun Microsystems) to illustrate different dynamics between FLOSS communities and corporations.

The best part is that Westminster is making the book available for free via open access.  After all, a book about the digital commons should be available as a digital commons.  You can find more information (and free digital copies of the book) here: https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fwww.uwestminsterpress.co.uk%2fsite%2fbooks%2f10.16997%2fbook39%2f&c=E,1,evVuIHboeuiMCHGZT13NDwGSmq5vXdOau0rAhL4zvd9AY13Bw1YSVCpvXK62yAVPWGYeovZEVIFLv4WlrIo6uzUcAx3Ej-H6AVh3w8QbqcJs9EKi&typo=1

Thanks!
Ben Birkinbine

Benjamin J. Birkinbine (he/him/his)
Assistant Professor
Reynolds School of Journalism & Center for Advanced Media Studies
University of Nevada, Reno
@bjbirkin